U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:53 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times

Advertisements

OK I just installed Windows 7 x64 on my wife's computer. Its a homebuilt PC containing an Intel DG965WH motherboard with a Core 2 Duo CPU, integrated VGA, 250GB SATA hard drive, 2GB RAM, a 20" Dell LCD with integrated web cam, and an APC UPS with USB communication cable. Normally I wouldn't install a 64 bit OS on a 2GB machine but I really wanted to test out x64 and 2GB is all this machine has. The system now dual boots between Windows 7 and Vista32.

Its a lot easier to test out a new OS on her machine because she has a lot less software and peripherals than I do. So far I've installed:

Office 2007 SP1
PowerISO 3.7
AVG Free 8.0
Acrobat Reader 9
old AOL instant messenger
Quicken 2007
BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.3
Firefox 3.0.5

All of the above hardware and software is working without any tweaking. All of the hardware was recognized automatically and all of the apps listed work just fine. The only thing not working is a PCI communication device listed in device manager. I might have a 56k modem in there left over from some previous incarnation of this box. The display was a bit off initially (text looks like I was running a non-native resolution even though I was) but that went away after Windows downloaded some updates automatically.

One of the biggest changes so far is that the shell folders (documents, pictures, music) don't represent a single folder anymore. They still show c:\users\%username%\documents but also show anything in the shared documents folder. Additional folders (local or network) can be added and even designated as the default folder to save new files in.

I'll have to work with the new taskbar more to decide but I think I like it. One problem I have on Vista is that I get so many apps open that it can be hard to find the one I want to switch to by looking on the taskbar. The model of having a little icon and some text written on a rectangular bar has been with us since Win95 when machines struggled to run more than a couple of apps at once. I have 13 items on my taskbar in Vista right now. If I want to switch to Outlook from Firefox, I have to look for it and its position moves around depending on what I have open. With Window 7's taskbar, you can pin an icon down so it never moves and the icons are pretty big. That should help develop some muscle memory of knowing that Outlook is always the 3rd icon from the left, Skype is the 5th, etc. and ultimately make work more efficient. Aero peek is pretty damn cool looking but I'll have to use it more to decide if its actually useful or more like flip 3d.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:31 PM

526 posts, read 942,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
There is a problem with that as well. They might have programs that are relatively bug free then, but you will end up with a much more expensive program. Lets take Blizzard entertainment as an example. Before releasing World of Warcraft they had to do a server stress test, and have months of Beta and Alpha testing before they could go live, these tests had literally thousands of people taking part in the testing. Now if a company needed to higher thousands of people to test out the software, you will end up with software that is beyond anyones means to purchase. Beta testing used to be done in house, and for the most part Alpha is still done in house. (the server stress test for WOW had a couple hundred thousand people world wide to test server stabilities)

well the beta testers usually are pretty good, its the vendors who don't comply, you could sit till your blue in the face and ask for support of a device, if they don't write it then forget it, which was one giant problem for vista, as for the requirements of 7 they seem to actually work on a pc with 1ghz, 1gb of ram. quite interesting! and the processes EXCELLENT! in vista before any apps were installed it had 51 processes, win 7, 28!!
this beta is excellent so far, all my hardware xcept magic jack is working quite impressed!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:28 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Got to the page to download, clicked download - nothing. Patience?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:58 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,266,303 times
I am running it right now and sending Microsoft feedback for every glitch I find. It actually runs pretty darn good for a Beta. Very fast and responsive to my commands.

The glitches I have found so far:

The most major one is my HP F4135 Printer. It tries to install and then gives me an "error program did not install properly" and then shuts down. Also every time I put one of my portable memory sticks in the install tries to run again.

Windows Live Mail crashes, it never starts actually and windows did tell me it had encountered a problem with the install.

They did away with quick launch in the task bar which I complained about. The got rid of Windows mail on the pc so I had to install Outlook which I don't like as much.

My MIDI patchbay has no support, they even told me this when I went to install. I have a workaround for this with another hardware so no biggie.

I couldn't get Windows 7 to recognize my other two networking pcs but I will try this again when I have time.

Other than these things so far the OS is running great. They added a new snipping tool which allows you to capture a selected piece of a webpage and save in various formats. Very handy when going through classifieds or news ads you want at your instant reach.

Over all very promising code and I will continue to report bugs to help them improve it.

By the way, I heard that all Vista owners who bought the software bundled with a new pc will recieve a free upgrade to Windows 7 when the official release comes out.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:59 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,571,425 times
How is Windows 7 Vista 6.1? Or is this how MS counts?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,523,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I am running it right now and sending Microsoft feedback for every glitch I find. It actually runs pretty darn good for a Beta. Very fast and responsive to my commands.

The glitches I have found so far:

The most major one is my HP F4135 Printer. It tries to install and then gives me an "error program did not install properly" and then shuts down. Also every time I put one of my portable memory sticks in the install tries to run again.

Windows Live Mail crashes, it never starts actually and windows did tell me it had encountered a problem with the install.

They did away with quick launch in the task bar which I complained about. The got rid of Windows mail on the pc so I had to install Outlook which I don't like as much.

My MIDI patchbay has no support, they even told me this when I went to install. I have a workaround for this with another hardware so no biggie.

I couldn't get Windows 7 to recognize my other two networking pcs but I will try this again when I have time.

Other than these things so far the OS is running great. They added a new snipping tool which allows you to capture a selected piece of a webpage and save in various formats. Very handy when going through classifieds or news ads you want at your instant reach.

Over all very promising code and I will continue to report bugs to help them improve it.

By the way, I heard that all Vista owners who bought the software bundled with a new pc will recieve a free upgrade to Windows 7 when the official release comes out.
darn it, I will have to pay for another upgrade lol.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
How is Windows 7 Vista 6.1? Or is this how MS counts?
a minor upgrade, its 6.1...
as xp was 5.1 and 2000 is 5.0
seems that they get it right when they add the dot 1 to the release lol

Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
a minor upgrade, its 6.1...
as xp was 5.1 and 2000 is 5.0
I realize this, but it should be called Vista 6.1 (or what-ever code name for the project) or Windows 7 but not Windows 7 aka Vista 6.1.

What I am saying is how does the number 6.1 equal the number 7? It should be either or, but somehow to MS it is one and the same.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I realize this, but it should be called Vista 6.1 (or what-ever code name for the project) or Windows 7 but not Windows 7 aka Vista 6.1.

What I am saying is how does the number 6.1 equal the number 7? It should be either or, but somehow to MS it is one and the same.
who knows?
just like why did they dump the year on the operating system?
haha it would sound weird calling XP Windows 2001
or Vista Windows 2006

Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 AM

What really irks me is that Windows 7 suggests that it is a completely new (and different) OS. People are going to buy it because they are going to think that it is not Vista. Isn't there a law against false advertising?

I tried downloading the beta last night, but nothing happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or