Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,888 times

Advertisements

For several months I've been unable to connect to the iTunes store on my desktop (Windows XP). It hasn't been a problem because I've had access to it on other computers but now I'm trying to get it up and running again on this one. I tried uninstalling iTunes (and all of its components) and re-installing but I am getting the same one back - same issues, etc. I don't get an error message, I just get the continuous "Accessing iTunes Store..." with no results. Has this ever happened to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:27 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinnyMuggins View Post
For several months I've been unable to connect to the iTunes store on my desktop (Windows XP). It hasn't been a problem because I've had access to it on other computers but now I'm trying to get it up and running again on this one. I tried uninstalling iTunes (and all of its components) and re-installing but I am getting the same one back - same issues, etc. I don't get an error message, I just get the continuous "Accessing iTunes Store..." with no results. Has this ever happened to anyone?
If you have access to the internet with the computer, please check your firewall or other 'network security' software to give permission for the program to access the internet.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times
Sorry to get off topic but can anyone explain to me how to get a play list on i tunes started ? i got the music over there but i just can't get it on my mp3/mp4 player. thanks if you can help.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
If you have access to the internet with the computer, please check your firewall or other 'network security' software to give permission for the program to access the internet.
I agree and turning off the firewall for a few minutes to rule it out usually does the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
Sorry to get off topic but can anyone explain to me how to get a play list on i tunes started ? i got the music over there but i just can't get it on my mp3/mp4 player. thanks if you can help.
Did you try clicking where it says playlists in the left side then click file ->new playlist?

What type of MP3 player? Is it compatible with itunes?
Have you tried windows media player?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM

i have a colby and it says it's compatible. is there another site that converts your music to mp3 that might work ? i can get the music on the player with windows but it's not playable. i get all the names but nothing plays. it took me two weeks to get music on my dw's mp3 . why does all this stuff have to be so confusing ?

Last edited by JFRRACING; 01-15-2009 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-15-2009, 10:33 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
Quote:
i have a colby and it says it's compatible. is there another site that converts your music to mp3 that might work ? i can get the music on the player with windows but it's not playable. i get all the names but nothing plays. it took me two weeks to get music on my dw's mp3 . why does all this stuff have to be so confusing ?
itunes uses the AAC format. To avoid confusion, I'm talking about itunes the software, not itunes the online store. itunes the software has probably converted your mp3s to the AAC format, and as a result they won't play on your player. Google for "freeware music file converter" and I'm sure you can find some different programs that will convert your music into the proper format for your player. I do not have experience syncing any non-ipod player with itunes - I don't think you can do it. It is no longer true that songs purchased through itunes work only on ipods - is that possibly what you meant by saying your Colby was "compatible" with itunes? In any event, I think it's just a matter of converting your music files to the proper format. Most non-ipod mp3 players can transfer files using windows explorer and don't need a proprietary program like itunes to sync anyway.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
itunes uses the AAC format. To avoid confusion, I'm talking about itunes the software, not itunes the online store. itunes the software has probably converted your mp3s to the AAC format, and as a result they won't play on your player. Google for "freeware music file converter" and I'm sure you can find some different programs that will convert your music into the proper format for your player. I do not have experience syncing any non-ipod player with itunes - I don't think you can do it. It is no longer true that songs purchased through itunes work only on ipods - is that possibly what you meant by saying your Colby was "compatible" with itunes? In any event, I think it's just a matter of converting your music files to the proper format. Most non-ipod mp3 players can transfer files using windows explorer and don't need a proprietary program like itunes to sync anyway.

i'll try a freeware converter. i tried using the windows and it only loaded the names and wouldn't play any songs. it says in my manual that itunes is one of the converters listed. what ever happend to the old sony walkman ? that was so easy to use and much less confusing.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:57 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Never heard of it, maybe someone has time to look them over. Coby MP3/MP4 players link
\

Which model do you have?

I found this at the FAQ and wonder if it applies:
Quote:
There are many online stores or subscription services you may choose to purchase and download music from. Most of these stores employ Windows Media Digital Rights Management (WMDRM) and offer encrypted WMA files for download. Due to the encryption, these files cannot be played on all MP3 Players.

Most COBY MP3 Players can play encrypted WMA files-these players will state so on their packaging. If you are unsure of whether or not your player can play encrypted WMA files, you may visit our website at http://www.cobyusa.com for more information about your player.

Please note that music purchased from Apple's iTunes music store employs their proprietary Fairplay-encrypted AAC; purchased iTunes music cannot be played on any MP3 player other than Apple's.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:29 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
Quote:
i'll try a freeware converter. i tried using the windows and it only loaded the names and wouldn't play any songs. it says in my manual that itunes is one of the converters listed. what ever happend to the old sony walkman ? that was so easy to use and much less confusing.
Can you find the files using Windows Explorer? If they are in your itunes library, right-click and select "Show in Windows Explorer." That will open the folder where the file is stored. Then right-click the file, and select "properties." That will tell you what the file type is. Can you do this with one of the songs you can't play and tell us what the file type is?

You don't have to go through itunes if you know where the files are on your computer. From what I know, itunes/ipod will play files in mp3, mp4 and aac format. Here's a link that shows you how to change the itunes settings to convert files to mp3: Convert iTunes to MP3 Format

If this still doesn't work it may be that your music files are copy-protected. The only workaround I know for this is to burn them to a music CD, then import them from the CD into itunes in the mp3 format. Here's another source for converting from AAC to mp3: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10096807-49.html

Old 01-17-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Never heard of it, maybe someone has time to look them over. Coby MP3/MP4 players link
\

Which model do you have?

I found this at the FAQ and wonder if it applies:

it's a colby mp705-2g thanks for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers