U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,218,775 times

Advertisements

I went to by a Mic for our computer so I could try the My Space karoke. The one I bought will not work. It has a picture of a Lap Top on it. We don't have a Lap Top we have a regular Compaq. Is there a difference when buying Mic. Also clearly I'm not computer trained. Awhile ago I believe I deleted Windows on our computer as we know longer have the Windows to write a letter make lables.Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times
The microphones are fairly universal - laptop/desktop/whatever, it doesn't matter.

First, make sure it's plugged into the right port. If yours are color coded, it'll be the pink one.

Next, double click the little speaker icon next to the clock in your taskbar. That'll bring up the "Master Volume" window. There, click the "Options" menu and then "Properties". In the window that pops up, click the "Recording" radio button, make sure that the "Microphone" checkbox is checked and then click "OK".

The "Master Volume" window will change to the "Recording Control" window, but will look very similar. You should have a slider for "Microphone". Check the box for that slider and move the slider all the way up. If there's an "Advanced" button under the checkbox (there might not be - depends on your hardware/driver), click that. You may have a "Microphone Boost" checkbox that when selected, will amplify the mic input.

Hopefully that'll do the trick. More often than not, these steps will get the microphone working. If they don't, then the problem may be with something that's specific to your hardware or audio drivers, and in that case, only someone with specific knowledge about it would be able to help much.

There's always the possibility that the microphone is defective, too... (although it's not too likely).

Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
You got good advice on the mic but what's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Awhile ago I believe I deleted Windows on our computer as we know longer have the Windows to write a letter make lables.Any suggestions
I don't think you deleted Windows. I don't even believe you deleted your word processer. Deleting applications is not as easy to do as it used to be. If we are to help though we need lots more info on how you used to go about using the label maker.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers