U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:48 PM

11,712 posts, read 11,303,041 times

Advertisements

My own computers at home are backed up with images stored on spare hard drives. Probably not very cost effective on a large scale, but geeks like me are always running into bargains on bits and pieces of hardware, so hard drives are cheap (for me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
My own computers at home are backed up with images stored on spare hard drives. Probably not very cost effective on a large scale, but geeks like me are always running into bargains on bits and pieces of hardware, so hard drives are cheap (for me).
Do you have a storage fetish too? I'll see a hard drive or flash drive with some huge capacity and feel almost compelled to buy it whether I really need the extra space or not. Its just too big and cheap to pass up.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Do you have a storage fetish too? I'll see a hard drive or flash drive with some huge capacity and feel almost compelled to buy it whether I really need the extra space or not. Its just too big and cheap to pass up.
Have you seen the 32GB eSATA drives?

Newegg.com - OCZ Throttle 32GB eSATA Flash Drive Model OCZESATATHR32G - USB Flash Drives

Old 01-16-2009, 10:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
must....resist....clicking....add to cart

Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
must....resist....clicking....add to cart
My wife makes me wear a bib when I visit Newegg.

Bought two laptop coolers Thursday and a gig of RAM for my laptop yesterday.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:58 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
My wife makes me wear a bib when I visit Newegg.

Bought two laptop coolers Thursday and a gig of RAM for my laptop yesterday.
my recent $750 computer upgrade didn't take long to creep up over a grand to around $1200, kept finding things that I decided it needed, I think the only reason it still qualifies as an upgrade is I'm using the original pair of 250GB drives in the RAID array

Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
my recent $750 computer upgrade didn't take long to creep up over a grand to around $1200, kept finding things that I decided it needed, I think the only reason it still qualifies as an upgrade is I'm using the original pair of 250GB drives in the RAID array
You kept those crappy old hard drives? LMAO!

So what did you buy?

I've started snooping for a long term project. When we retire (basically waiting for her to decide she's socked away enough money) and move to our new home (where ever it may be) we are planning on two laptops (new) a server (new), and a game machine (new) with whatever flavor of OS is current. Two game machines, we already own with 98 and XP. This will allow us to play about 90% of our games, including every version of Tombraider ever realeased. We do enjoy those. And I'll get back into my first-person shooters. I had to stop while working because I get too involved timewise.

By starting now I think I'll have a better grasp on what will be the best hardware to purchase then, because the market certainly will change!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
You kept those crappy old hard drives? LMAO!

So what did you buy?

I've started snooping for a long term project. When we retire (basically waiting for her to decide she's socked away enough money) and move to our new home (where ever it may be) we are planning on two laptops (new) a server (new), and a game machine (new) with whatever flavor of OS is current. Two game machines, we already own with 98 and XP. This will allow us to play about 90% of our games, including every version of Tombraider ever realeased. We do enjoy those. And I'll get back into my first-person shooters. I had to stop while working because I get too involved timewise.

By starting now I think I'll have a better grasp on what will be the best hardware to purchase then, because the market certainly will change!
Yeah I considered a pair of 500GB SATAII, but the 2 250's work for now. It's my gaming rig, I went with an Asus P5E, Wolfdale E8400 3Ghz, 8GB ram, BFGTech GTX260 OC, BFGTech 550W PSU, PVR1600 tuner, The 2 250's in a striped array running Server 08 x64, Kingwin aluminum removeable rack which has a 400GB SATA running Windows 7 x64, and a 500GB data drive.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Wow! I may be bugging you for help if we are both still around when the time comes. I noticed you went with a duo core. Smart. You're better off putting the money in a graphics card than a quad core CPU for gaming.

BTW: OP, sorry about the hijack. We do get carried away sometimes.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Wow! I may be bugging you for help if we are both still around when the time comes. I noticed you went with a duo core. Smart. You're better off putting the money in a graphics card than a quad core CPU for gaming.

BTW: OP, sorry about the hijack. We do get carried away sometimes.
Yeah, the quad would have been overkill, the E8400 will easilly overclock to almost 4Ghz with stock cooling, if I ever feel the need
6M L2 cache doesn't hurt either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers