U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 12:18 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,517,606 times

Advertisements

I bought this programming magazine with the title " programming is fun and easy" or some stupid title. I've been going through the first section and its wonderful. It has 10 different programs that it walks you through. Starting from easy of the typical "hello world" to more advanced items.

I've bought many useless books that claim to be "professional" and leave out key features to teach you the proper steps and talk way too much.

The point of this thread is for others to post websites, articles, magazines they've found helpful when they were starting. I find C# to be tremendously easier to deal with then C/C++.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 PM

535 posts, read 1,574,060 times
Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition Products

Good stuff there, too. I'm tinkering with SQL 2008 now.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
As I've dealt almost exclusively with PHP I can onlpy comment on that. I've found the PHP manual invaluable. I guess everyone is different in how they learn but I need real world examples and results. I'm not one to be content going through the whole "hello world!" BS and want to dig right in.

The manual itself is setup as forum type page. Experienced users and programmers will offer examples and explanations or even suggestions for other possible functions using real world examples. Once you have basic knowledge of the language these examples become invaluable as they incorporate amny other parts of the language pretty much forcing you to learn and understand them.

There's the standard online version and a downloadable version: PHP: Documentation

For example here's the page the foreach loop :

PHP: foreach - Manual

Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,517,606 times
wowzers. I don't understand what happened 10 years ago. There is so much useful information on the internet now of days.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,571,583 times
If you want books, I'd suggest a series of books by Deitel. They have a several programming books for C/C+=, VB, Java and C#. I used one when I was learning Java and found it to be a good start.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:49 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
I'm fond of Visual Basic or better yet Delphi.. (which compiles self-executables usually with low over-head) unlike VB which may need 1+ Mb of files with it..

The best way to learn to code I think is to set your sites on a goal and then do it.. anything else is a waste of time.. there is some nice websites out there that post source code with their applications which can be real helpful in.. how does it work scenarios..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers