U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times

Advertisements

Talking about HDs, I've decided I could use something around fifty bucks Though a terabyte HD sounds good, I'll just use what my budget says, because I'm going to get a printer, too.

What printer and what HD, I haven't decided, yet. The HD will be a SATA external, but I don't know for sure what kind of wire to use to connect it.

My wife had this laptop before me (I always get the leftover stuff) but she had an HP Deskjet 842 C that didn't give her any problems on an XP OS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Talking about HDs, I've decided I could use something around fifty bucks Though a terabyte HD sounds good, I'll just use what my budget says, because I'm going to get a printer, too.

What printer and what HD, I haven't decided, yet. The HD will be a SATA external, but I don't know for sure what kind of wire to use to connect it.

My wife had this laptop before me (I always get the leftover stuff) but she had an HP Deskjet 842 C that didn't give her any problems on an XP OS.
I prefer firewire over USB but not allot of laptops have that, so it might be your only choice. As far as the printer I would recommend you stay away from HP, their crappy drivers and bloated software installation can cause no end of problems.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
I've seen problems with drivers for HP printers connected via USB in the past couple of years. Lexmark makes good laser printers. I prefer laser printers over ink jet.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,588,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
You should consider an external drive with eSATA. That way in the future you have that option. Since eSATA is the same connection as directly connecting to the internal SATA port, so you get the fastest speed.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
The last two HP printers I installed did so quickly and don't seem near as resource hungry as previously. Has HP been paying attention to their critics and is working to fix the problems?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've seen problems with drivers for HP printers connected via USB in the past couple of years. Lexmark makes good laser printers. I prefer laser printers over ink jet.
Yep, I'd prefer the laser of the inkjet, too. Maybe next time. We both allowed ourselves a $100 Christmas present, but since I got a $25 gift certificate at the Christmas party, that makes it $125. I doubt my wife will gripe too much if I go a little bit over, but I want both the printer and the HD. Our problem is I'm going to have to pay for new bridges for my mouth, which kind of cramps our style...

Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
You should consider an external drive with eSATA. That way in the future you have that option. Since eSATA is the same connection as directly connecting to the internal SATA port, so you get the fastest speed.
Will do, Thanks, FM!

Quote:
The last two HP printers I installed did so quickly and don't seem near as resource hungry as previously. Has HP been paying attention to their critics and is working to fix the problems?
Well that is encouraging, TF. Were they color printers?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Stranger things have happened I guess

Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have no affiliation with Newegg other than as a very satisfied customer. If the Mods feel this is an advertisement, please remove it. I'm just trying to save CDer's some money. Look for promo codes in the ads.
I'm not sure if I should thank you or hurt you for posting this...

We just got a Media Center extender (Circuit City going-out-of-business sale) and the 802.11g network just doesn't quite cut it - it does "ok" but there are occasional issues with the speed. I saw the D-Link 802.11n router at your link for $35 and also found a $23 802.11n USB adapter (for the Media Center machine). Both had free shipping...

So I got everything I needed to add the necessary infrastructure to the network for less than what I expected to pay for just the router/access point, but at the same time, it's money I wasn't planning on spending.

So thanks, and you better run and hide!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Brian, both HP printers were color multifunction inkjets. I kept thinking I had forgotten something, but they went through all the same HP gyrations, only much quicker. I also prefer laser printers. My workhorse is a Samsung CLP510N that I use for pretty much everything. Duplexes. Scanning is done on an HP d145 that has been going strong for a long time.

BTW if you have an HP with an ink cart that hasn't been used for a while, you know it's got ink in it, but the printer refuses to use it (It might say the cart is too old) then check for a battery in the printer. One of those the size of a quarter. They use them to keep the time and date internally and that tells them how old a cart is. Turn off the printer, remove the battery for 20 seconds, put it back in, and print.

Swagger, I'd say I'm sorry, but you now have a whiz bang wireless network, so I won't.

I love it when this stuff goes on sale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers