U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 19,674 times

Advertisements

I tried, unsuccessfully, using the computer's utilities program to repair the disk.

I followed standard procedure, by booting up from the OS X 10.4 install disk, selecting UTILITIES, then DISK UTILITIES. Once the DISK UTILITY opened, I selected the OS X 10.4.11 disk. Then I clicked on the REPAIR DISK button, and let it go through the scan / repair cycle. But it stopped near the end, giving me this message:

[in red letters]
invalid node structure
The volume Mac OS X could not be repaired after 3 attempts

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

[in black letters]
1 HFS volume checked

[in red letters]
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

[in black letters]
Repair attempted on 1 volume

[in red letters]
1 volume could not be repaired

After I got that message, I shut down, then restarted manually after waiting about ten seconds, rebooting from the OS X 10.4.11 install disk as before. But when I got to the DISK UTILITY page again, this time I did the other of the three things [verifying permissions, etc.], before re-running the disk repair again. And again I got the same message as above.

Other than that, my computer seems to be working okay, except for the iPhoto. If I edit one photo, it does nothing more. Not even quit. So I must force-quit to exit iPhoto, and re-open each time I want to edit a photo, unlike before I up-graded from OS X 10.2 to 10.4.11.

Additionally, I tried, unsuccessfully, going into SINGLE USER MODE, by rebooting again, this time holding down both the C key and the S key. But the computer monitor stayed GRAY color, without switching to BLACK. So after holding down the C and the S keys for several minutes, and still no black page came up, then I gave up waiting for it and shut down the computer manually. And let it sit for about a minute, before rebooting a fourth time, and again trying the DISK UTILITY, and again getting the above message.

So PLEASE tell me what I can do now. Is there anything I can do to repair the disk, short of saving all files then erasing the disk, and starting over?

As you may have already perceived, I'm no expert. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks in advance.

-Tom

P.S. How do I get to SINGLE USER MODE with the OS X 10.4.11?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:53 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,032 times
This guy had a similar situation. Might work for you.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Default did that

Brian, the thread you linked said that the guy initially didn't boot up from the install disk. But I did.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,032 times
I'm not expert, either, especially when it comes to other OSes. I think most of the others here (and some are real geeks), usually run Linux or Win.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,569,818 times
What prompted you to repair the disk?

How old is your HD, it's capacity, and how full is it?

What kind of Mac do you have?

How much RAM?

To get into the Single User Mode (aka shell-level mode) you need to Command S (no C) while booting up.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,029,383 times
I have seen/used a Mac exactly once in my life. Many years ago. Still, I think the o.p.'s issues might be with resources. If a Mac has anything like a PC taskbar or more to the point, if a Mac has anything like a resources monitor it might be useful to know how close even a single large photo plus multiple overlays of that photo in a single session of photo editing have come to maxing out the RAM available. This might also be the reason that the Disk Repair fails towards the end of the process. Examining the 'taskbar' and 'start-up' folder to note which applications are in an 'idle' state while the PC is powered up might be a clue as to what RAM is actually available to do useful work.

H

Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Although extremely rare, sometimes viruses DO affect MAC computers, despite what you may have heard. And in the case of my computer, it was attacked by a vicious trojan virus that actually damaged my hard drive, making it unrepairable. But the cost of the new hard drive was still less than the cost of disk repair software. Thanks everyone who replied. Take care.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,631,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tncdel View Post
Although extremely rare, sometimes viruses DO affect MAC computers, despite what you may have heard. And in the case of my computer, it was attacked by a vicious trojan virus that actually damaged my hard drive, making it unrepairable. But the cost of the new hard drive was still less than the cost of disk repair software. Thanks everyone who replied. Take care.
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Do you happen to know the name of the virus? I'm curious to research how prevalent it is in the wild and assess my own risk of getting it.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM

701 posts, read 993,935 times
some good security information here : Macintosh Security Site - Security for Mac Platform MacOS X Security Firewalls Desktop Network Security secure mac os x Virus Encrpytion PGP macosx

Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,644,902 times
So I guess I'm confused. You ran disk utility because iPhoto is acting weird? That is it?

At any rate....back up everything as soon as possible. Do you know what DiskWarrior is? If you don't have or don't want to get DiskWarrior just backup everything and reformat. Erase and Install I think is the option, and make sure to flatten the drive, zero it out or whatever the option is named.

I keep forgetting crap, have you fscked the drive yet? I guess that is why you are trying to get to single user mode?

Last edited by J Arp; 02-06-2009 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: blah!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers