U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,304,192 times

Advertisements

i hate the sound of a plastic mouse sliding across a desk, and i like the little pad under my wrist; so its always a mouse pad for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:25 PM

267 posts, read 1,180,583 times
Default The Bill of Rights are my 10 commandments, figuratively speaking

Update:

It's now been close to 90 days living without a mousepad for the first time ever in my life.

The experiment is over.

Ranking the level of satisfaction I derive from not having a mousepad - on a scale of 1 to 10 - is an easy 11.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. My table is devoid of ancillary junk items, items like paper or whatever else you could imagine. All I have on my table are 5 essential items:

1) keyboard
2) mouse
3) router
4) modem
5) speakers

There are zero restrictions or encumberments when manipulating my mouse sans mousepad. There is zero friction, no reluctance or hesitation during the manipulation process. The manueverability factor is very user friendly.

In retrospect, having a mousepad on my tabletop - the look of said mousepad on my tabletop - was like having a bedspread with Bugs Bunny and Woody the Woodpecker portrayed on it.

It's not that bad. But something like that is geared more for children. For an adult, I now deem the mousepad a tad dorky, borderline tacky. My computer table, minus mousepad, now looks cleaner, sleeker, more streamlined like a jet airplane.

Not having a mousepad gives me more freedom.

I no longer have to waste time going to the store to buy a new one every 6-8 months. Nor do I have to waste time ordering one online. Freedom is my religion. I like not wasting time. I like having more time to practice my religion the way I want to practice freedom as opposed to having it dictated to me by circumstance. I once met a hot woman while shopping for a mousepad. There are many other ways for a man to meet a woman. Such is the glory that freedom brings to man.

I'll never go back to using a mousepad. To do so would be ridiculous. Life is too short to spend time in a state of ridicule. To do so would be a sin against my religion.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:41 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK
You don't need a pad under a laser mouse, since these don't have a rubber tracking ball underneath. I don't use a pad with my Apple Mighty Mouse.
Well I need a pad under my laser mouse... It doesnt work otherwise!!

I have a microsoft BLUE corded laser mouse....... I dont see how anyones laser mouse works w/o a pad!! (The laser doesnt go down that far (Maybe on some of them it does I guess))

Old 12-16-2016, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,856 posts, read 56,232,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
i hate the sound of a plastic mouse sliding across a desk, and i like the little pad under my wrist; so its always a mouse pad for me.
This, my mouse works fine without a pad, but the desk surface is uncomfortable for the hand, and I hate the way the mouse slides on the slick desk surface.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Well Hotornot I think you might have some issues. Are you OCD? (I'm joking).
You have 5 things on your desk? Why is even the modem and router on the desk?
I have lots of stuff on my very large desk. Books, notepads, pens and papers. Not 1, but 2 staplers. Reams of paper. A printer.
Not just any ordinary mousepad but an enormous one which is fantastic. My mouse never runs off the edge of it.

@Dude111 Most laser mice actually do work without a mousepad. That was the kind of revolution that started when they came out. You can use them on your pants... just about any type of surface... except: glass. Which just happens to be what my desk is so I couldn't go sans mousepad if I wanted to.

@Hotornot. Instead of replacing a mousepad twice a year you could get a better one that doesn't wear out. I've had the one on my office desk for 3 years and still looks brand new.

Quote:
I no longer have to waste time going to the store to buy a new one every 6-8 months. Nor do I have to waste time ordering one online. Freedom is my religion. I like not wasting time. I like having more time to practice my religion the way I want to practice freedom as opposed to having it dictated to me by circumstance
Really? Really, Mr. Could-be-OCD? I just opened Amazon, typed Mousepad. Found one I "wanted"... you know how long it took? Under 60 seconds. I think I can find a minute to spare.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:53 AM

5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Lol

Quote:
hotornot
not a member

user lists

last activity: 04-06-2010 06:29 pm

Old 12-16-2016, 03:15 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,614,010 times
Not usually needed for an optical mouse except when using it on a glass table top. I don't know about a white table?, probably not.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:00 PM

13,481 posts, read 25,854,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
I agree.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:58 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well I need a pad under my laser mouse... It doesnt work otherwise!!

I have a microsoft BLUE corded laser mouse....... I dont see how anyones laser mouse works w/o a pad!! (The laser doesnt go down that far (Maybe on some of them it does I guess))
You seem to be a tad confused. Doesn't go down that far? You realize that no matter if your mouse is on a pad or the desk the laser emitter is the same distance from the surface?

Very few people need a mouse pad, only those on some surfaces, very dark or black seem to cause the most problems due to the lack of reflectivity.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:19 PM

9,065 posts, read 6,392,593 times
The kind of surface you work on determines whether you need a pad. I work on a table with a grainy, course surface and as not perfectly flat everywhere. Without a pad, my optical movement is very sporadic, unreliable, and frustrating. Using a pad, it's smooth and perfect, so of course I use one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or