U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 02:30 PM

12,413 posts, read 18,370,194 times

Advertisements

I have a wireless mouse as well and haven't use a mouse pad in many many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 05:45 PM

9,065 posts, read 6,392,593 times
Here's something interesting to add to my comments in my previous post in the thread. That was primarily based on my experience with a Microsoft optical mouse that I've been using for years with my desktop. But today I began using a new Insignia optical with my laptop on the same surface that the Microsoft has trouble with. The Insignia with no pad is perfect, where the Microsoft is really hit and miss.

Just another angle on the real answer....it depends.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:30 PM

1,111 posts, read 597,795 times
A good modern mouse will work on virtually any surface (including clear glass), so you don't absolutely need a mouse pad. However, mouse pads are still very useful for providing the right amount of friction and smoothness. I use Roccat mouse pads at work and at home.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:57 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,278,666 times
I have a *hand me down* (son is a *gamer*) Logitech G-700 mouse.
Does not work with the mouse pad that I used, with the *before* mouse.
Old mouse lost its wheel movement ... ? No idea how to fix that, no new drivers available with WIN 10 !

Really strange, the Logitech would work moving the mouse sideways, but up and down, the darn thing would go diagonal when using a mouse pad.

This Logitech works without a mouse pad, and my table is a light grey *plastic* smooth surface.
This mouse does have a *special* mouse pad that came with the mouse, but I never use it ...

About the laser or whatever makes it work ...
The mouse works *on* the table surface, and also up to about 1/8 on an inch *off* the surface. Any higher and it does not work !

But ...
I did have to get used to the slick table surface. The mouse can be used corded or not corded.
With the cord, the mouse moved on its own, due to the cord *pulling* it a certain way when I did not touch it. The cord is kind of *thick* ! Solution, leave a long end of cord *free* ... before it goes somewhere towards the USB hub !

So ...
Does one really need one ?
As has been said before, it depends ...

Nice part of this Logitech.
I can choose different sensitivities. Nice for doing CAD work !
When working on a relatively small area, I can *grab* what I need rather easy.
When I need to move the mouse to another area way out there, I can just *move it really fast* and literally throw the cursor all the way across the screen !

Last but not least. It seems that the G-700 has a problem with one button (the bugger has *umpteen* buttons !) not functioning after a while (Googled it). Took it apart and fixed it, Looks like a design error !

Crazy *observation*
I use a *souped up* Dell laptop with a separate keyboard and a large 27 inch monitor !
In order to move the cursor, I actually have the choice of the touch pad, a small button in the middle of the laptop keyboard, the external mouse or ... a WACO pad for CAD !

Old 12-25-2016, 12:25 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,255,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
I met someone who said that they never use a mousepad with their Logitech MX 600 Cordless Laser mouse.

Wow, is that possible?

He said that he has a desk that he keeps clean and polished - slick as an ice rink, and so, I guess, that's how he gets by without using a mouse?

Hey I've always used a mouse, ALWAYS. Is it really possible to forego the use of a mouse? I have to wonder if it would cause the mouse to wear out sooner or cause any other problem.
Optical mouse you don't have to worry about it. But it does help if the surface has some texture to it; in my experience. When a surface is that slick, I end up putting the mouse on my pants, or a pair of jeans, etc in order to get it to work properly.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:45 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD
A good modern mouse will work on virtually any surface.
Ya you guys might be right......I just tried mine on the desk (instead of the pad) and it does work.. (But feels strange)

Old 12-26-2016, 04:28 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,958,568 times
no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or