U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM

267 posts, read 848,126 times
Default Mousepads: Do you really need to use one?

I met someone who said that they never use a mousepad with their Logitech MX 600 Cordless Laser mouse.

Wow, is that possible?

He said that he has a desk that he keeps clean and polished - slick as an ice rink, and so, I guess, that's how he gets by without using a mouse?

Hey I've always used a mouse, ALWAYS. Is it really possible to forego the use of a mouse? I have to wonder if it would cause the mouse to wear out sooner or cause any other problem.

Last edited by hotornot; 01-20-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 PM

12,905 posts, read 13,843,668 times
You don't need a pad under a laser mouse, since these don't have a rubber tracking ball underneath. I don't use a pad with my Apple Mighty Mouse.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM

588 posts, read 1,638,056 times
Back in the olden days when mice incorporated little balls to track movement, a mouse pad helped the ball get traction, and thus insured more accurate mouse movement.

Most mice these days are the optical / LED type. These shine an LED light on the surface which reflects back up to a tiny camera which takes thousands of pictures a second. A microprocessor analyzes the pictures, comparing each picture to the previous picture to determine mouse movement. As long as your mouse surface is not completely uniform, you really do not need a mouse pad.

Laser mice work on the same principle, but use an invisible laser instead of an LED. The intensity can be higher, and thus a more accurate image is transmitted to the camera, theoretically resulting in more accurate mouse movement.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:52 AM

2,837 posts, read 7,458,970 times
I use a mouse pad for two reasons, and neither reason is a necessity for operability at all, just preference. For me, the muted sound of the mouse running around on a pad is preferred over the sound of plastic on a wood surface. I also prefer the "slower" movement because of the friction of the pad vs the sleek of the desk's surface.

The silliest reason is because I have a bunch of mouse pads that I like to look at such as the one with my daughter's photo in it and the ones I've purchased as souvenirs while traveling.

My mouse is LED, so do I need a mouse pad or am I hurting it by not using one? No. I just prefer it.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,428,109 times
Mouse pad just gets in the way of other stuff anyway. I hardly used one even when mice had tracking balls in them, although they did help with traction.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 AM

535 posts, read 1,100,683 times
With a ball mouse I'll use one but for opticals, no. I will use a sheet of paper or a folder under one IF the surface is shiny - like a black desk. Otherwise, no.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 AM

19,057 posts, read 21,756,773 times
I use the arm on my Lazy Boy (cloth) or my leg when wearing blue jeans. My black dress slacks don't work very well...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 AM

6,473 posts, read 5,094,799 times
Well, I have lots of different setups. I'm typing this on a laptop that has an optical mouse attached with no mouse pad. Behind me is a desktop with no mouse pad. Two PC setups in another building; one has a mouse pad; one doesn't. At home, I have a mouse pad. I've used them for so many years, I've just gotten used to having them there. However, you usually don't need one with an optical mouse.

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-21-2009 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: thought of something else

Old 01-21-2009, 08:27 AM

19,397 posts, read 30,242,542 times
I don't think I need a mousepad.

My wife looks at the two spots on the kitchen table with the finish worn off and tenderly begs to disagree....

Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,264,827 times
I just bought one to use with my LED mouse, because I kept getting crumbs on the desk and I could feel them with the side of my hand. They are not as annoying on the pad.
I can take the pad off and shake/swipe the crumbs off easier, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers