U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,127,013 times

Advertisements

Just got an older computer that had been tweaked a little.
The soundcard thats built in with the motherboard doesnt work.
So another card was installed and drivers installed.
So now that card isnt working(it was an older card from another comp).
I checked all settings and device manager says it working fine.
What could cause this?The audio was working fine the first couple days
Of using the computer.I dont have specs for everything at the moment.
But i believe the Card is made by C-media.
Other than that decent computer for my use 3.2 Ghz,2 gig ram,350G HD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,219 times
Just a wild guess - did you turn off the non-working card using the BIOS? I'm not nearly technical enough to describe this better, but what I'm getting at - is there a conflict between the integrated card and the one you have installed? Is your computer recognizing the new one but still trying to use the old one because of the BIOS settings?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,645,083 times
Well... I hate to ask but have you made sure the speakers are still plugged into the computer, (in the proper port)? are they getting power, are they turned up? Is the volume turned up in Windows? Did you screw the card in? It could have came loose in the slot.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 PM

588 posts, read 2,585,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
The audio was working fine the first couple days Of using the computer..
Are you sure the speakers are still functioning? Do you have another device (mp3 player, CD player, etc.) that you could plug them into to verify they still work? Also, make sure the speakers are plugged into the lime green colored jack on the computer.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 AM

573 posts, read 616,814 times
If you're still having problems but your old PC has USB, consider picking up a few of these (I did).

Customer Reviews Of SYBA SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter - Retail

Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,127,013 times
Thanks everyone for their help....
I will try putting the souncard in another slot.
I dont know enough about Bios to go in and fix things that way if thats the issue.

I always wondered if they made something you could just plug into USB!
That might be my last option...

Old 01-23-2009, 01:12 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Thanks everyone for their help....
I will try putting the souncard in another slot.
I dont know enough about Bios to go in and fix things that way if thats the issue.

I always wondered if they made something you could just plug into USB!
That might be my last option...
That wouldn't be an if, if you didn't actually go in and disable onboard sound functions on the motherboard. It really isn't that difficult to access the bios and disable the onboard soundcard. From what I've seen there are plenty of people here who could walk you through it (myself included). You have but to ask. Those USB thingies look cute I'll admit, and I'll be checking one out as soon as I finish this post, but I submit that even in the case of an upgrade to a USB soundport a PC user should still want to at least know how to disable (or enable) motherboard functions.

H

Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,645,083 times
For disabling onboard items..

When you start/restart the computer you will get that black BIOS screen. Look around really quick for something to the effect of "F2 = Setup" It might not be F2, but whatever key takes you to setup hit it before your computer start to load Windows. You might have to restart your computer a couple of times because it can go by fast. You should be able to hit the Pause button so you have time to look around. Then you will have a menu of sorts. There will be a menu option that says something like "Onboard Devices"
Go in there and see if you have an onboard sound device. Then you can turn it off. After that read the screen for a save option. Sometimes it is F10 and sometimes you can just hit Escape and it will ask if you would like to save your changes.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
i have a windows xp home edition and when i reinstalled it my computer didn't read my driver i dont know what kind it is or anything so how do i get my sound back

Old 10-22-2009, 08:36 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,341,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelesf22 View Post
i have a windows xp home edition and when i reinstalled it my computer didn't read my driver i dont know what kind it is or anything so how do i get my sound back
You need to look at the card, figure out the manufacturer and model number, go to their website, download the drivers, and install them.

When you reinstalled Windows it wiped out the old drivers and they must be reinstalled for the sound to start working again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers