U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM

4,677 posts, read 1,886,910 times

Advertisements

We have a computer and anytime we are on it longer than approx. 20 minutes it shuts down on us and keeps shutting down until we keep it turned off for a while, sometimes an hour sometimes a day. It shuts itself down probaly five-six times a minute when it starts. Its an emachines, and approx. 5 years old. We have the guards and the blockers on, we delete the old stuff, its even been rebooted in the past. I do download the yahoo games but it was doing it before that too or even if I'm just on the internet. Has anyone else had this problem, why is happening, and what can I do to fix it? We dont have money for a new computer and this one works fine in between shutting off so can some please help me figure out whats wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 11:55 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,646,994 times
Get a can of compressed air (staples, office depot, etc), take it outside, open the case and blow the dust out. Make sure to get in the heat sinks and thoroughly hit the fans to clean them out. Don't miss the fans in the power supply (DON'T OPEN IT), on the graphics card and the CPU fan/heat sink.

When you take it back leave it open the first time you power it up and make sure all the fans are running. If they aren't either replace them yourself (they are cheap) or have a shop do it. If they are close it back up and go back to business as usual.

If it is still shutting down either the fans are not performing as they should, ventilation is lacking (don't tuck the system where it can't get any air) or permanent damage has been done to the system.

It could be other things but from what you posted I'm guessing over heating is the issue.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Okay, I will try that. Where it sits is under the desk in a corner in the computer room, so should i move it out from under there?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Yah, some motherboards have a failsafe feature in them.. that detects when the cpu is too hot and initiates a shutdown/turn off.. that what it sounds like you have..

Assuming you can pull it off besides for Tom's advice above.. you can get yourself a temperature sensor program such as motherboard monitor (put it in google) and see if some of your temperatures are in the red..

The most likely cause is a failed fan.. I'm not even sure dust can pull that off.. so if you do open the physical case.. look specifically at the processor (where a big fan should usually be) and look to the power supply which sometimes blows air onto the processor (by design)

Old 01-23-2009, 12:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,646,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
Okay, I will try that. Where it sits is under the desk in a corner in the computer room, so should i move it out from under there?
You want a good air flow. Avoid putting it on carpet or sticking it into a corner where the air can't move around it. Usually keeping a few inches open all around and a bit more in the back is enough. As long as you aren't sticking it in a cubby hole where it can't ventilate.

And as themaster says, you can find a monitoring utility for most motherboards that will tell you your temps and fan performance. This will help you know if something is failing and causing the system to overheat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
The most likely cause is a failed fan.. I'm not even sure dust can pull that off.. so if you do open the physical case.. look specifically at the processor (where a big fan should usually be) and look to the power supply which sometimes blows air onto the processor (by design)
It is common for dust to either gum up a heat sink or weigh down a fan enough to stop them from cooling efficiently. Sometimes the weight on the fan will be enough to permanently damage it but usually just a good cleaning is enough to bring the fan back to 100%. This is made worse by the dust blocking vents on the case and further reducing air flow.

Last edited by TomSD; 01-23-2009 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: weird first edit didn't take

Old 01-23-2009, 03:07 PM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
I've seen the air intakes on the front of the machine get clogged up too, so I would suggest cleaning those out also. When you have the case open, make sure the front of the power supply isn't clogged up. The fan in the back of the power supply draws air in the front and cools the power supply components and discharges the hot air out the back.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
I had one client that went through all the usual cleaning and checking and finally placed a fan in front of it. Worked...

But before you go that far make sure all fans are running and all openings are dust-free. If there is a free opening for one another internal fan could help.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:36 PM

535 posts, read 1,574,060 times
Canned air will do it. I have a small compressor that I used on the nasty ones, esp if there are smokers in the house. When you blow it out make sure you're upwind so you don't get a face full of dust.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 PM

The dusting worked. I am now able to be on the computer for now than twenty minutes. Thank you everyone!!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 PM

15,208 posts, read 10,718,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
The dusting worked. I am now able to be on the computer for now than twenty minutes. Thank you everyone!!
A clean ship is a happy ship.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or