U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,323,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I've never heard of Max Sewcure Spyware Detector. Where did you get it? I use AVG Free 8.0 Antivirus. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is good and free but nothing will keep the user from screwing up their own computer. Spybot S&D was good about 6 years ago. Today, not so much.
LOL Ooops. I meant to say "Max SECURE Spyware Detector"

Just out of curiosity, why is Spybot lacking today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 AM

706 posts, read 1,353,981 times
IMHO:

I tried Windows Vista for a few days when it first came out (Jan 2007) and then for a few days after Service Pack 1 (Feb 2008) - didn't like it. I've been using XP and Linux in the meantime. Then I tried Windows 7 a few days ago and I like it very much, so my position is now somewhat different. Finally, Microsoft is starting to do things right: focus on stability and efficiency, giving programmers the same degree of control and productivity they have on UNIX, and so on.

Vista in of itself was a failure, but it was a stepping stone, and it does look like Microsoft will get its OS act together someday soon. In the long-term, also, Microsoft is developing managed code operating systems which are a leap ahead from anything Apple, Sun / Java, and the open-source community seem to be capable of in that time-frame. In other words, Microsoft is here to stay, and it would probably make sense to bite the bullet with Vista / Windows 7 beta now to make transition to future versions easier.

Other bits of advice:

Vista can be faster and less annoying than most people think, if you configure it right. Get a good book, go through it. Learn which services and start-up components you need and which you don't: if you don't need it turn it off. Disable the security nags you don't need. Open your Task Manager after running the system a while, check "show processes from all users", and sort by CPU Time, Memory (if you're running low on it), etc to see what the biggest resource drains are. A lighter system doesn't just mean more speed and faster restart time, it means fewer crashes as well.

Avoid bloatware, unnecessary software, etc. Uninstall trash that came with your computer by default that you probably don't need. Don't use a bloated mail app if WebMail and a simple notifier app are just as good. Don't use several chat programs (i.e. IRC, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo IM, MSN, etc) when you can get one program (i.e. Pidgin, Trillian, etc) to connect to all of them. Consider various browsers (IE8, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc) and decide which one works best for you. uTorrent is just as good as Azuerus and other BitTorrent clients but is much lighter, and the same applies to FoxIt Reader instead of Adobe Acrobat. Install VLC Player and you will never need to download another audio / video player or codec pack again! Get rid of update checker programs that slow down your application start-up or sit in memory wasting resouces (i.e. Google Update), and run a program like the FileHippo.com Update Checker instead. Use tools like CCleaner, Autoruns (from Winternals), etc.

Last edited by Alex Libman; 01-25-2009 at 08:36 AM..

Old 01-25-2009, 09:08 AM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
2 GB should be sufficient, maybe. I consider that to be a minimum for Vista.

So if your cousin is so smart (heh, heh) tell him to get his rear over there and trouble shoot this sucker. Time for a Tech Challenge!

Get the better AV program, etc in and scan with it before getting too far into fighting with the mail prog. You may have a nasty that the AV progs will get rid of with the scan. ZoneAlarm firewall (free) is a good idea.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
2 GB should be sufficient, maybe. I consider that to be a minimum for Vista.
The more I think about it, I am pretty sure I was wrong about the 2GB. I must have been drinking too much beer! LOL Actually, I think it is a lot more than that. How can I find out for sure (see, I told you I was an idiot!). Go to "my computer"...?

Quote:
So if your cousin is so smart (heh, heh) tell him to get his rear over there and trouble shoot this sucker. Time for a Tech Challenge!
LMAO He has helped me out quite a bit in the past, but is kinda hard to get in touch with sometime. But yeah, he is one of those who knows more about anything than anybody else. Even if he don't know sh*t about the topic...if you know what I mean! LOL Of course, in the realm of computers as concerns me, he has me there. Which in turn isn't exactly anything to brag about! LOL

Quote:
Get the better AV program, etc in and scan with it before getting too far into fighting with the mail prog. You may have a nasty that the AV progs will get rid of with the scan. ZoneAlarm firewall (free) is a good idea.
Thanks TF. Several other have also mentioned AVG. Would you recommend buying the whole she-bang...or just downloading the free version...?

Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 AM

For RAM: Start/Control Panel/System - it's on the General tab screen (which should be the one that displays initially)

If you get AVG, etc you should uninstall the others first.

AVG free is an excellent program. There are some features in the purchase version that aren't in the free, but I've never used the purchase version so I can't comment on the differences.

Zonealarm I've had both. The free version (firewall only) is an excellent program that does exactly what it's supposed to. the Internet Security Suite - the same. The only problem I've had with it is that they keep screwing me out of time. I bought a one year subscription and it ran out in 11 months. They did this more than once so I dropped them.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 AM

526 posts, read 942,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
i've found that the free antivirus and antispyware/malware programs are far better than the need-to-pay-for ones.

I echo escapecalifornia -- avg and malwarebytes are great. I also use ad-aware.
couldnt agree more!
And vista all the way.
Chuck xp its about to loose mainstream support anyway.
This ways the transition to 7 will be smoother

Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,332,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just out of curiosity, why is Spybot lacking today?
It takes forever to scan and it just misses a lot of bad stuff. Then it scans again on the restart and again, misses a lot of bad stuff. The tea timer, if you install it, is a really annoying too.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:45 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
couldnt agree more!
And vista all the way.
Chuck xp its about to loose mainstream support anyway.
This ways the transition to 7 will be smoother
Seems like I read XP would be supported through 2012. I could be wrong.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,778 times
I didn't like ZoneAlarm, at least when I tried it a few years ago. It seemed to be going through a training period, with the alarm going off, often, probably for mostly little stuff.

I like my Avast, along with Threatfire. I run CCleaner once in awhile, not forgetting about the registry tab.

And I'll run SuperAntiSpyware once in awhile just to make sure all the bases are covered.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 PM

Yes, Zonealarm can be annoying, but I'd rather have that than not be warned about a program trying to get to the Internet and have it send a bunch of personal info. I prefer being told what's going on.

Zonealarm does require "training". The first time you use a new program that wants to access the Internet it will ask what you want it to do. You place a check mark in Allow and click on remember (or visa versa, can't remember) and it's done. However, if you download an update to that program ZA knows it has changed and will ask again. The difference that you will see is the color of the border around the question box. If I remember right it's blue for new and orange for changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or