U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,324,968 times

Advertisements

This question has probably been asked before, but I am going to ask again. Bluntly, Windows Vista vs. Windows XP.

Recently, I lost my hardrive. Went and bought a new machine, which had Windows Vista already installed. Yeah, it could (and quite likely is) me...but it has given me nothing but grief. For one, the "Windows Mail" is continually being corrupted...whereas the old Outlook Express never gave such problems. But that is just one thing...

I guess my sophomoric question is, how many of y'all have switched back to Windows XP from Vista? Is it even advisable no matter how much one dislikes it? And if so, is it something one should attempt to do themselves (if not really all that astute about it all)?

Hell, ANY advise would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 PM

11,612 posts, read 20,767,085 times
I'm a "basic" computer person - from all I've read: XP far outweighs Vista. I am keeping fingers and toes crossed that this computer hangs in there - you can't buy a computer w/XP anymore (unless maybe a resale from a used computer store?). Good luck. Whichever you use, I highly advise using Mozilla Firefox as a browser instead of I.E.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Given good hardware and lack of OEM crap, Vista runs just fine. You either have a hardware problem (bad memory, bad motherboard, bad hard drive, etc) or some crap your OEM installed, such as security software, is causing trouble. I have never seen Windows Mail randomly corrupt itself so its not a common issue.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
OP, how much RAM is in the computer?

Same here for corruption of Windows Mail - not seen any with corruption.

What specifically is the problem? Need more specifics to maybe trouble shoot the error for you.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:34 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,219 times
Vista runs well on my laptop with 2 gigs of memory. Less than that and you might have some issues, I think. Even with two gigs I disable Aero (those translucent window effects). Other than memory use Vista is as good as XP was for me. I didn't use the built-in mail program though. If you want an alternative try Thunderbird, which is a free open source download.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,409,923 times
I bought a Dell with XP recently, (wanting to avoid Vista) and it's ok. Vista has driven friends nuts with it's constant notifications... David Pogue in the NYTimes just gave Windows 7 a favorable review, but it's not out yet.

I use Outlook - and my only complaint is that the entire new MS office suite (including Outlook) is slow. Some of the new features are good...but it's slow even with the 4 gigs of Ram I have.

Isn't your Vista machine under warrantee? I'd say a clean reinstallation of your Vista operating system should fix things for you...

Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 AM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I bought a Dell with XP recently, (wanting to avoid Vista) and it's ok. Vista has driven friends nuts with it's constant notifications... David Pogue in the NYTimes just gave Windows 7 a favorable review, but it's not out yet.

I use Outlook - and my only complaint is that the entire new MS office suite (including Outlook) is slow. Some of the new features are good...but it's slow even with the 4 gigs of Ram I have.

Isn't your Vista machine under warrantee? I'd say a clean reinstallation of your Vista operating system should fix things for you...
That is easily turned off.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,324,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
OP, how much RAM is in the computer?

Same here for corruption of Windows Mail - not seen any with corruption.

What specifically is the problem? Need more specifics to maybe trouble shoot the error for you.
Thanks to all who have replied! A idiot like me needs all the help he can get! LOL

TF? It has 2GB of RAM. What keeps coming up with the Windows Mail program is "corrupted by an external something or other". And "recovered mail" appears.

I have a cousin who is a "computer geek" and he LOVES Vista. Tells me the obvious in that I do not know what I am talking about when I have these problems! That's ok...he has lost most of his hair and I haven't...

Seriously though, thanks to all for giving some good advise.

ALSO...what is the BEST virus removal software to buy? I have Max Sewcure Spyware Detector now...but it doesn't seem to be getting all of it. I have heard a lot lately about SpyBot Search and Destroy...?

Old 01-24-2009, 02:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
I've never heard of Max Sewcure Spyware Detector. Where did you get it? I use AVG Free 8.0 Antivirus. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is good and free but nothing will keep the user from screwing up their own computer. Spybot S&D was good about 6 years ago. Today, not so much.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:23 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
I've found that the free antivirus and antispyware/malware programs are far better than the need-to-pay-for ones.

I echo EscapeCalifornia -- AVG and MalwareBytes are great. I also use Ad-Aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or