U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 AM

858 posts, read 1,350,033 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with Sony Vaio laptops?? I am thinking about buying one in the next couple of days here, but wanted to see what others have to say about them.. I have compared them them with H, Toshiba, Acer, Asus, etc, and I seem to get more for my money if I go with the Vaio.. Any info is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:41 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
They've (Sony) been at the top of the bloatware offender list for some time so make sure a cleanup is done on it if you get one.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,164,040 times
Default Liking My VAIO

I have had several laptops, most of them Toshiba and my husband and I now have Vaio's. I can honestly say I despise Toshiba. My VAIO is VGN-FW240J/B. Truth be told, the Sony Vaio I got didn't seem to have much bloatware. It also had a lot of memory and CPU speed and was relatively cheap. I got it on Amazon.

My last toshiba started to overheat. That's fine, since in THEORY, all I would have to do is take off the cover and clean out the fan (or something similar) with some canned air. Sadly, the design of the laptop made it VERY difficult to access to the fan area. I decided to stop putting my computer on ICE and just get a new one.

Here are my thoughts on my new VAIO:
a. Price Looked Okay - I paid under $900 and I felt happy with the price.

b. Fan Access Okay - I just looked up how you access the fan in my VAIO, and it looks eaiser than Toshiba! You still have to unscrew the keyboard, though. The last time I dismantled a computer (my desktop, I fried the video card! As a result, I don't like the idea of having to touch too many interior components just to clean the fan.

c. Blu-Ray - I don't watch DVD's on the laptop. There are a lot with Blu-ray, but as far as I'm concerned, If I wanted a TV, I would buy one. I also noticed that the Blu-ray laptops cost several hundred dollars more. My model is blu-ray free.

d. Lots of Memory - I got 400GB ram, which is good since I run some memory intensive applications, and besides the overheating, that's the other problem I had with my previous laptop and other computers. Slow computers irritate the poo out of me. Usually when my computer slows down it's because some apps are eating up the memory.

e. Bigger Screen Rocks - I have a 16.4 inch "widescreen" and I love it so far. The display is so clear and for the money this was the biggest screen I could buy. The only problem is that because of the "widescreen" normally square backgrounds don't fit. I like chococat (he's so cute), but his adorable background stretches on the "wide" screen and looks funny.

f. "Bloatware" - I uninstalled Napster and the AOL toolbar and maybe one or two other programs, but it wasn't too bad. I recall that my Toshiba had Soo much more crap on it. My husband also got a Vaio and his had much more crap on it. The one I got seems fairly cr@p-free.

g. I hate Vista - In addition to the horrible new file explorer, Vista decided to implement some sort of new permission scheme, which I can only assume they did for security reasons. I think I found BUG number one this weekend when I tried to do my taxes. I moved my expenses spreadsheet from my old crap-shiba to the Vaio, and Vista would not let me save changes to my own file! The computer said the file is read-only and continued to say this even after I changed the file and folder settings. I just ended up deleting the old file and creating a new one. So I can't write to a file I have "full permissions" to, but I can Delete it?!! Sigh. Additionally, Vista does not seem to work with applications such as WINSCP. I had to download putty's scp, but that annoyed me, too because I wasted precious seconds when I could have been doing something important, like watching videos on YouTube.

Then the thing asked me for permission to do EVERYTHING. 3-4 popups to move a file, copy a file, install software... This is great for people who constantly get viruses by reading email in HTML format, opening attachments they didn't request and downloading unknown files from the internet. I don't DO that, and I didn't really ask for any extra securty help from Windows. I can see what they were trying to do with the changes, but why try to dumb down the OS so much that you slow down all users? The extra steps really irritate me. I really wanted to wait so I could bypass Vista, but I really needed a new laptop... I also didn't want to pay $300 extra to get the Windows XP install for new laptops from Tiger Direct...maybe I need to rethink that.

Hopefully once I get all of my files and settings done and figure out where everything is, it will be better. Sadly I'm a computer "professional." I should be having an easier time with the new OS. A computer should make my work easier, not make me want to pull out my hair! Sob, choke...

h. Really Good Graphics - My sister has an Apple, and I can say that the graphics on the Vaio are very nice. I would say that you should make sure to get as much memory as you can, though. There are cool graphical tricks that Vista offers such as when you use the windows-button+tab to switch between windwows. It's 3-D! The screen also renders the graphics from videos etc. very clearly. I can't wait to use photoshop on my new VAIO!

i. Other stuff - I probably skipped a generation in laptops or something, but I think it's cool that mine came with bluetooth already installed AND a webcam!!! Getting connected to wireless was also easy, but I haven't tried any other network setups. The computer is also IPV6-enabled, which I noticed when I ran ipconfig in my attempt to find a way to transfer my files without Winscp.

j. Security is Tight - One thing I can say for the guys out there is that if you want an OS that will protect your PC from your nosy wife or girlfriend, Windows vista fits the bill. I have tried almost everything to hack into my husband's PC and I have to say that Vista is Hell-a annoying, but the security really works well. Grrrr

Anyway, if you need to get a new laptop I would recommend VGN-FW240J/B.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
I have an older Vaio (2003) - purchased because it did offer the most for the money. I can't comment on newer Vaios because I'm not sure if they fixed/changed the following:

Yes, bloatware - lots of 'Vaio World' stuff that's so unnecessary and I sent all of it to the ozone layer (with some difficulty, but the task was accomplished).

Placement of the CD drive is on the right side, and USB ports on the left -- should be the other way around.

The fan is noisier than other laptops, and the unit gets hot on the bottom (doesn't overheat, just gets hotter than others).

The battery only lasts 30 minutes, and I could upgrade to a longer-lasting one, but I'm too cheap to do so.

However, the laptop is very durable and I've had no mechanical problems whatsoever in the 5 years I've owned it. It came with a lot of great, useful software (full versions, not trial versions).

Would I buy a Vaio again? Maybe. My second desktop (purchased in 1997) was a Sony Vaio (Win 95) - I still run the hard drive (in an external enclosure) and the monitor is still being used on another desktop. So, my experience with the Sony products is longevity.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

Here are my thoughts on my new VAIO:
a. Price Looked Okay - I paid under $900 and I felt happy with the price.

d. Lots of Memory - I got 400GB ram
400GB of RAM huh, in a computer that cost $900?
Me thinks that was a typo

Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM

526 posts, read 942,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
400GB of RAM huh, in a computer that cost $900?
Me thinks that was a typo
they could have meant Hard Drive...hmm..

Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
they could have meant Hard Drive...hmm..
No, I'm a tard Here is the description safely copied and pasted from Amazon:
Sony VAIO VGN-FW240J/B 16.4-Inch Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 Processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium) Black

Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM

6,022 posts, read 13,689,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
No, I'm a tard Here is the description safely copied and pasted from Amazon:
Sony VAIO VGN-FW240J/B 16.4-Inch Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 Processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium) Black
still those are nice stats for a laptop under $1k. my laptop cost about the same amount in 2007, and has 1gb of ram and a 160gb hard drive (though it has a pretty decent (at that time at least) graphics card, blue tooth (which I never use), and hard drive speed (I think it's 7000rpm). overall, my laptop will probably be worth $200 when I sell it given the stats of the new laptops

I thought having blu-ray on a laptop would be nice since I like to watch DVDs on my laptop, but many new movies are coming out w/ a free digital copy included that you can upload to your computer and ipod, so a blue-ray player on a laptop may not be needed if more companies go this route

Old 01-31-2009, 11:13 PM

Default I love VAIO

I am writing this post using this speech recognition option that came with mine you computer. It's not perfect but it's pretty good. I would have paid extra just to be able to type without using the touchpad. Thank you so much so Sony! This is so cool I cannot talk to my computer and it will tie for me I just wanted to share with you! I would definitely recommend this via routing every one this is so cool it's even hard for me to get myself to stop!

Okay I just told it to stop listening!

Wow, I have never used this feature before, so I will assume it's new to either Vaio or to Vista.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:53 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
No, it isn't new (hope I didn't burst your bubble!) We have it on our Gateway which came with Word 2003. It is a neat feature, and is great for "writing" drafts for papers for college. However, it does make a lot of mistakes, so a writer does have to go back with a fine-toothed comb and fix some things. Truly it is fun though (as I can tell, kinkytoes, from your post!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers