U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:24 AM

375 posts, read 1,376,727 times

Advertisements

I had a power outage yesterday while I was using the computer and when I tried to turn it back on after the power came on, all I heard is the fan going and nothing else. So, is my computer fried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 AM

11,712 posts, read 11,303,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
I had a power outage yesterday while I was using the computer and when I tried to turn it back on after the power came on, all I heard is the fan going and nothing else. So, is my computer fried?
Maybe. Just depends. Here's some things to check. Is the power light on the front coming on? If so, is it the right color? Is it blinking? Is the fan in the power supply running or the one lower on the back of the case? What kind of computer is it?

I've seen several dozen Dell Optiplex GX-270 minitower machines fail after a power outage. Usually, no fan comes on and the power indicator is blinking amber. Sometimes, removing the power cord for a few minutes will fix it. Other times, the power supply has failed and must be replaced.

I saw an old IBM machine a few weeks ago that had a failed power supply, but I advised that I considered the machine toast. It was 7 years old and had a proprietary power supply.

BTW, if the machine IS toast, there is still a good chance that your data is intact on your hard disk.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 PM

588 posts, read 2,585,751 times
Make sure your computer, monitor and peripherals are plugged into a surge suppressor, if they're not already. That greatly reduces the chance of your computer power supplies being fried in these types of situations.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:22 PM

This was last night, and I'm at work now, so let me try to recall as much detail as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Is the power light on the front coming on? If so, is it the right color? Is it blinking? Is the fan in the power supply running or the one lower on the back of the case? What kind of computer is it?
When I pressed the on/off button, the light activated by that button came on blue. I don't know if it's ever been any other color. Also, I don't remember about any other lights... if there are any other lights... never paid any attention to that before.

I'm not sure what fan is running. I didn't know there were more than one fan inside.

The computer is called Shuttle... not very common, I don't think. But you can google Shuttle Computer and see.

I'm going to open up the computer tonight to see if I can do anything about this. How do I know if the computer can be fixed or if I should just try to salvage the hard drive. As you might have guess, if at the least, I can get the family pictures out of there, then I'm ok. But would still like to fix the computer if I can.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Make sure your computer, monitor and peripherals are plugged into a surge suppressor, if they're not already. That greatly reduces the chance of your computer power supplies being fried in these types of situations.
Don't laugh, but I had everything plugged into a power strip thinking that all power strips have surge protection, but my friend told me I am gravely mistaken. I guess a power strip and surge protector isn't the same.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM

11,712 posts, read 11,303,041 times
You might want to ask somebody to look and see if the power supply looks like a standard configuration, or take it to a shop and see if they will try a power supply for you. If you end up replacing the computer, you can get a USB connector to hook your hard disk up to another machine and get all your stuff off. We can help talk you through that if you need to.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:36 AM

535 posts, read 1,573,969 times
Unplug it from the power and everything attached to it. Reconnect - does it fire back up? You could also open the case, unplug everything from it then reconnect it all one at a time. On the downside you might have cooked your power supply.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Sorry for not checking back in... here is what I can see.

I openned the case. When I plug in the power, but not turn on the computer, I see some lights coming on on the motherboard.

Next, when I do turn on the power button, I see two fans going. One fan is on the mother board and the other one is I think for the power supply.

So, I think this means the power supply is ok, but the motherboard is not doing what it is supposed to since nothing further happens (other than the fans going off) after I turn on the power... am I correct?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:04 AM

57 posts, read 322,147 times
it could be a number of things.
you should at least tell us what kind of motherboard you have, let alone the computer.

this situation happens often

you should give us a little more info on what exactly happens as this type usually requires someone to do a few on hand tests

do this, open up the computer, take the memory out, then turn the computer on, you should hear continuous beeping, (if you hear beeping than its a good sign)
so maybe just try to switch the ram around or move it into another dimm slot.
if it still does not turn on then you could also try to reset the jumper on the motherboard itself. (need to know the type of motherboard it is, its printed on the motherboard itself)
there should be a pin by the motherboard battery. (small round, usually close to the IDE plug ins on the motherboard) next to the battery (or close in proximity) you should see a three pin jumper.
Pins 1 + 2 are in normal mode, you need to clear the CMOS, so move the jumper to pin 2 + 3 and hit the power button, wait 10secs and then place the jumper back to 1 + 2. This should clear the CMOS.
give it a try.
Also, if the fan on the CPU itself moving? I guess I shouldve asked that first.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresan1 View Post
you should at least tell us what kind of motherboard you have, let alone the computer.
The computer is called Shuttle, which I did mention. The model number is SB83G5A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresan1 View Post
Also, is the fan on the CPU itself moving? I guess I shouldve asked that first.
Which fan is this? I saw 2 fans. One on the mother board and the other was I think for the power supply. When you say fan on the CPU, is this a 3rd fan that I didnt see? The 2 that I did see did run when I turned on the power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or