U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chispirit View Post
My husband and I decided to go with a laptop and we ordered one today.
We ordered a [SIZE=4]HP-Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T3200-G60-235DX .[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][/SIZE]
I wanted to say THANKS to everybody who has given me the confidence to jump on this. I was really unsure about it but when I read all your posts of how much you loved your laptop I just have to give it a shot.
If I have more questions I will come right here to this forum cause you have been awesome.

@Tek_Freek...
I will go and try that at the DELL site and if I can upgrade my pc I will do that for sure. We paid 499 for the laptop and the desktop with the same configurations but without the monitor would have been 399, with monitor over 670$. So I think that was a pretty good deal.

@Naptowner...
I have XP on my old computer and I love it. I know the 256 megs are just not enough for it and I will do what Tech_Freek suggested and see if I can't pop in more RAM.
I have used msconfig. the other day to scale down some programs but my PSP (Paint Shop Pro / I got 3 on my pc) are taking up lots of space . I had 4 on it and deleted one with tears in my eyes .....LOL...
Oh btw, I do have an external hard drive hooked up to my pc and already transferred lots to it.

One thing that has been bothering me about my old pc is that the USB ports are all 1.1 so everything that I hook up will run much slower of course, cause everything out there is running on 2.0 now.
I'm guessing this one!

HP - Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T3200 - G60-235DX (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9167947&st=HP-Laptop+with+Intel%C2%AE+Pentium%C2%AE+Dual-Core+Processor+T3200-G60-235DX+&type=product&id=1218041998788 - broken link)

You will appreciate the separate number pad.

You can buy add-in cards that will run USB 2.0 on your PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 AM

97 posts, read 363,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm guessing this one!

HP - Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T3200 - G60-235DX (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9167947&st=HP-Laptop+with+Intel%C2%AE+Pentium%C2%AE+Dual-Core+Processor+T3200-G60-235DX+&type=product&id=1218041998788 - broken link)

You will appreciate the separate number pad.

You can buy add-in cards that will run USB 2.0 on your PC.

Yes that is the one we ordered .

I will remember the add in card.

I got a lot of great info here and wrote points down for me to remember.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 AM

97 posts, read 363,440 times
@Tek_Freek...
I went to the Dell site gave in my tag numberfrom the back of my unit and there is really NO ram that I could add
Now they suggested a whole new motherboard but I don't want that.

Oh well, got to live with this. I might be ablet to take some programs off and scale it down some.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,219 times
Quote:
@Tek_Freek...
I went to the Dell site gave in my tag numberfrom the back of my unit and there is really NO ram that I could add

Oh well, got to live with this. I might be ablet to take some programs off and scale it down some.

Wow. I learn something new every day.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:19 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Quote:
@Tek_Freek...

Maybe you could save whatever files you want from the old machine, transfer them to the new one, and then try a Linux OS on the old one. It would be fun.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,219 times
I am not super technical although I've used computers since the early eighties, and I would recommend the ubuntu 8.10 distribution of linux. Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu You can burn it to a disc and run it right from the disc without installing it just to see how you like it. I went ahead and installed it on one computer we use, and although it has limitations that prevent me from using it as my main work computer (no itunes support so I can't sync my phone, open office lacks a couple features I need), it's great for web browsing, watching movies, and so forth. There's a ton of free software you can get, including open office, which does just about everything MS Office does, with a few minor exceptions (I can't figure out how to track changes and comments the same way Word does) and the interface is very Windows-like. And so far I have only had to use the command line (kind of like a DOS prompt, if you remember that) once, and that was to fix my own mistake - pretty much everything you need to do can be done through a graphic user interface similar to what you're already used to.

Because you don't have to have antivirus or antispyware software running, your system will likely run faster and smoother than it does now. Things work a little differently - you find and install software using and 'add/remove programs' function instead of searching around for it on the internet. And I don't know how old your children are, but mine love the gcompris educational software, and there are a lot of free games and other programs to try out. Before you ditch that old computer, or if you just can't get it running properly, it's worth a try. And don't believe all the critics who make it sound a lot harder than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or