U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:56 AM

138 posts, read 328,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I agree that home basic has no reason to exist. It was just made to get a cheaper version of Vista on $299 Compaqs down at Office Depot.

With XP, you had Home, MCE, and Pro. MCE basically replaced Home when Microsoft dropped the price. The problem was that some people wanted media center AND Pro's features such as RDP and joining domains buy couldn't get both in one product. So they came up with Vista Ultimate so those willing to spend extra to get everything could do it.

The problem with automatically including things like media center and movie maker in Business/Pro is that most companies don't want their employees having that stuff in their work computer. So I still think there should be three desktop Windows: Home, Pro, and Ultimate. That would take it back to how it was under XP but with the option to get it all.
Maybe they should have included Movie Maker and Media Center in Business but not installed it by default since its true most Business users don't want those programs available to their employees. Power users won't settle for Home Edition and Ultimate was so expensive it made the upgrade completely unworthwhile for those already happy with XP.

As for XP, the release of Windows 7 will mark the true end of the XP era and it will be more and more difficult to take XP fanboys seriously. I actually think Vista is preferable to XP on today's hardware but thats another issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 06:09 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
I actually think Vista is preferable to XP on today's hardware but thats another issue.
This is especialy true if you want to take advantage of your 64 bit hardare and have gobs of RAM, driver support for XP 64 bit just isn't what it is with Vista.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,571,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

Kuharai and NHDave, I'm interested in how Win7 will be better than XP (we'll forego discussion of Vista's purported improvements over XP since I get the drift that Vista missed the boat.) What are a few of the differences between XP and Win7?
I installed the windows 7 beta on my laptop with a 1.2ghz processor, 512mb ram on a 9gb partition. It installed in about 30 minutes, and boots up in 90 seconds. It works fine for basic web browsing/email/office type setup. Given the system specs I am running on I have no real complaints. I get a little bit of slow response, but nothing crazy slow.

I haven't noticed any major differences. There are some little things such as being able to drag items around on your taskbar. I think Microsoft will run into the same problem they had with vista: there is no real reason to upgrade from XP. If XP does what you need it to do, there really isn't a reason to upgrade.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:03 PM

526 posts, read 942,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I installed the windows 7 beta on my laptop with a 1.2ghz processor, 512mb ram on a 9gb partition. It installed in about 30 minutes, and boots up in 90 seconds. It works fine for basic web browsing/email/office type setup. Given the system specs I am running on I have no real complaints. I get a little bit of slow response, but nothing crazy slow.

I haven't noticed any major differences. There are some little things such as being able to drag items around on your taskbar. I think Microsoft will run into the same problem they had with vista: there is no real reason to upgrade from XP. If XP does what you need it to do, there really isn't a reason to upgrade.
right, i agree 100% about XP doing what it does, but there is going to come a time, when XP will run slower, look XP is made for 2 physical processors, this day and age we are now selling quad core, or the core i7, will XP be able to take full advantage NOPE! same with RAM 32 bit XP can only adress 3.5gb as software gets bigger and bigger xp will also cap out on the capacity it can handle there will be a cap on how well xp will preform, and i think by next year that cap will hit, jus like windows 98 it can only adress i believe something in the 300mb of ram zone? who would run it now? it hit its cap

Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 AM

138 posts, read 328,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This is especialy true if you want to take advantage of your 64 bit hardare and have gobs of RAM, driver support for XP 64 bit just isn't what it is with Vista.
I know a TON of people who have built high end gaming systems with 4 or 6GB of RAM and then installed XP 32-bit. I asked them why they didn't go Vista and they say something like "I've heard its slow and nothing works on it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Computers are moving into an era of more than 3GB of RAM, and XP will be left behind. As with Vista, there will be no point in upgrading a system built pre-2007 from XP to Windows 7, but there will no longer be a reason to use XP on new systems.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 PM

526 posts, read 942,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
I know a TON of people who have built high end gaming systems with 4 or 6GB of RAM and then installed XP 32-bit. I asked them why they didn't go Vista and they say something like "I've heard its slow and nothing works on it."

Computers are moving into an era of more than 3GB of RAM, and XP will be left behind. As with Vista, there will be no point in upgrading a system built pre-2007 from XP to Windows 7, but there will no longer be a reason to use XP on new systems.
exactly, once we hit the 3.5gb barrier its over for XP
once we start moving 64bit unless of course hardware manufactures decide to support XP 64, thats the only way i see XP holding marketshare, allthough its possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or