Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times

Advertisements

Hi. Curious, our manager tells us to feel free sending and receiving e mails to and from the office but warns us that the company officials can always have access to employee e mails. He tells us "so you may want to tell your SO to avoid sending steamy/sexual e mails because they can be traced".

What i do is either send e mails (not sexual ones just boring stuff!!) or receive them not directly to/from my office e address but instead using my home computer's ISP webmail or another webmail server. So all e's just come in to my home computer's e mail and i simply check/send the messages via my isp webmail or another webmail server

My question is can employer officials still see my messages if i they are not coming in/going out directly from my office address? Can they crack open all my webmail messages from my isp or the other server?

Another question is, there is a feature on our office computer's outlook express e mail panel called a "quarantine". what on earth is that? is that if a confidential document is accidentally sent on outside e mail it gets dropped in the quarantine and the office officials are notified? Always curious about that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
First, its their network, not yours and they can do anything they want with it, up to and including monitoring every bit that crosses it. Unless you're connecting to your webmail via SSL and you know that your browser isn't trusting an internal SSL proxy that could quietly decrypt your connection, everything you do could be intercepted, viewed, and logged. Is it worth it to get your personal email while you're supposed to be working? If you need personal email during the day, I suggest using a cell phone.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,548 times
Oh yes unfortunately, remember now; all the hardware from the computer , keyboard , as well as the larger infrastructure such as the mail server or more depending on the size of your corporation is their property. All and everything passing through these fiberoptic connections is subject to their viewing. I am retired from fed gov/t in the IT world... Unfortunate sad stories.., but that's another thread....just "remember" Big Brother is watching...Just keep that in mind...
Good Luck

Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Hi. Curious, our manager tells us to feel free sending and receiving e mails to and from the office but warns us that the company officials can always have access to employee e mails. He tells us "so you may want to tell your SO to avoid sending steamy/sexual e mails because they can be traced".

What i do is either send e mails (not sexual ones just boring stuff!!) or receive them not directly to/from my office e address but instead using my home computer's ISP webmail or another webmail server. So all e's just come in to my home computer's e mail and i simply check/send the messages via my isp webmail or another webmail server

My question is can employer officials still see my messages if i they are not coming in/going out directly from my office address? Can they crack open all my webmail messages from my isp or the other server?

Another question is, there is a feature on our office computer's outlook express e mail panel called a "quarantine". what on earth is that? is that if a confidential document is accidentally sent on outside e mail it gets dropped in the quarantine and the office officials are notified? Always curious about that
As long as you are using your companies network/system. Anything you can see, they can potentially see. And gone are the days where it may be hard to sift through mounds of data to find evidence etc. I can very quickly pull reports on any employee at my organization with regards to just about any actions they've performed using a corporate IT resource.

The "bright" side to that is as long as you don't' draw attention to yourself, you can stay under the radar. No one is sitting there looking at the data in real time to make sure no profanity or offensive content is being sent. They simply are logged and reviewed when necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers