U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 AM

97 posts, read 363,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I've only been off dialup for a year, so I'm still learning the more "contemporary" stuff about DSL, broadband, modems, routers, etc.

chispirit -- I'm surprised if your old Dell doesn't have a port for an ethernet wire (looks like a phone jack thing only slightly bigger). If your desktop can connect to the Verizon modem, then it should be able to connect to a router. My daughter's older desktop is hardwired to the router with that sort of ethernet wire thing. Her 'dinosaur' didn't know the difference between being plugged into the router instead of the ATT modem (we now have Comcast cable and internet, but it's more or less the same set up).

She now has cable/internet in her new apt. The cable comes in and splits - one cable goes to her cable box for TV and the other goes to a router. No computer is hardwired to the router - she has a laptop that picks up the wireless signal wherever she might be in her apt.

During the install, the cable guy let her configure the wireless thing herself. It was really easy. She could have gone with WPA encryption, but she went with WEP (and I will tell you that neither she nor I have a clue about that 'alphabet soup' (I guess WPA is purportedly better than WEP), but that didn't really matter - setting up and securing her wireless signal was simple - she just followed some on-screen instructions.

So chispirit, don't give up on roaming your home with your laptop!
Thank you for your support.
A freind of mine called me and told me that there would be no problem setting up a router in my home with my old computer.
I guess that guy at the best buy store tried to scare me in making it sound so very complicated.
I will try it and see if I can't get it hooked up.

I would like to know though what the difference is between WPA and WEP?

If anybody would be so nice in explaining this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispirit View Post
... that guy at the best buy store tried to scare me in making it sound so very complicated. ...
Not to offend Best Buy nor salespeople there nor Geek Squad members, but not one time were any of them helpful to me, and in fact made my computering more scary-sounding and complicated.

Do listen to your friend and to the incredibly knowledgeable folks here on the computer forum (myself not one of them :-)

As for WEP and WPA, I found this link informative about the differences between the two.
The Differences Between WEP and WPA

I will say that our installer said WEP encryption would be fine for my daughter's use and location, that it would secure her wireless from occasional nearby 'net users trying to hop onto the internet with her signal or trying to hack into her computer.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
As for WEP and WPA, I found this link informative about the differences between the two.
The Differences Between WEP and WPA
I do recommend that encryption be used. Go for the best your systems will support. The pecking order is;

Good = WEP
Better = WPA
Best = WPA2

Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM

12,627 posts, read 32,243,272 times
Wondering Why you want your desktop to be wireless?? For that all you need is a wireless card like is in laptops. But to me thats a waiste of money.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 PM

67 posts, read 196,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I do recommend that encryption be used. Go for the best your systems will support. The pecking order is;

Good = WEP
Better = WPA
Best = WPA2
Wired Equivalent Privacy used to be ok, but it is pretty darn easy to crack if you know how to do a Google search and find good tools. But the good thing is it is highly unlikely anyone will have the willpower to crack a WEP network not to mention the knowledge. I always recommend WPA or WPA2, as you've laid out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or