U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:35 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times

Advertisements

Turns out there actually is a Charter AV. Never heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Turns out there actually is a Charter AV. Never heard of it.
According to a Google search, its actually F-Secure.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
According to a Google search, its actually F-Secure.
Maybe we are both right. F-Secure is what the call the latest version of Charter Security Suite. The OP may not have the latest version.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,876,594 times
Yeah, we use The charter AV because its free and seems to be doing a decent job.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
I counted at least six suggestions so far. Which ones worked?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I counted at least six suggestions so far. Which ones worked?
Brian Pearson suggested using "ccleaner" in an earlier post.
It reminded me I use to use that on our older computer (now gone)
I had forgotten about it, and now remember how well it worked. I did download it and cleaned everything up. It found a ton of problems, and so far has not frozen up and is much faster! Thanks to all!
If this does not work, I will try some others.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 AM

I think it would be a good idea to get a stand alone anti-malware program. Your AV Suite may have anti-malware included, but no one program is a hundred percent effective. I like to use SuperAntiSpyware free edition periodically. Just update and run. I often use it in safe mode, though I'm not positive it makes a difference.

BTW, with your CCleaner, notice there is a registry tab. You can run that, too. There's also an uninstaller. I've not tried it, yet.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I think it would be a good idea to get a stand alone anti-malware program. Your AV Suite may have anti-malware included, but no one program is a hundred percent effective. I like to use SuperAntiSpyware free edition periodically. Just update and run. I often use it in safe mode, though I'm not positive it makes a difference.

BTW, with your CCleaner, notice there is a registry tab. You can run that, too. There's also an uninstaller. I've not tried it, yet.
Ok thanks
I did also use the registry cleaner yesterday, and it did find a few problems. I will try the antispyware also.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM

67 posts, read 196,669 times
The best software for antivirus and antispyware combines power with ease of use is probably Webroot Spysweeper with Antivirus. Kaspersky is more powerful, but not near as user friendly. If you purchase this software it will detect possible viruses/spyware that your free versions probably don't.

As far as internet explorer goes, I agree that Firefox is a lot better. But you could go to tools in IE and reset all advanced settings. This fixes a lot of issues with IE. If the issue still persists, then you could try installing a new version of IE (even the beta version) and uninstalling that version almost immediately (after a restart or two).

Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,743,469 times
After you do all this cleaning and virus stuff.
Defrag and reinstall your drivers.
Remove and reinstall your IE

Some programs can create a memory leak. IE kept doing it to me. I was sick of it and just got google chrome. Runs much faster. Have a second browser though as not all sites work with google chrome yet.

You should clean and defrag once a week minimum and make sure your windows OS is current on updates.

You may also want to manually increase your virtual memory if you like to use a lot of memory eating programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or