U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
After you do all this cleaning and virus stuff.
Defrag and reinstall your drivers.
Remove and reinstall your IE
pitt, yet again you are distributing completely bogus information. Why in the world would you recommend reinstalling device drivers after running defrag? That is complete erroneous information, as has your 'advice' given in other threads where people are asking for help with their computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You should clean and defrag once a week minimum and make sure your windows OS is current on updates.
Absolutely and completely unnecessary. Run defrag every couple of months, click the "Analyze" button, and actually defrag the disk only if it is recommended, which in practice means you will actually defrag your disk once or twice a year.

You are doing a great disservice to the people that need help with a problem by constantly giving useless and possibly damaging information on these threads.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 02-12-2009 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,721,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Using the charter antivirus
2 gig ram I believe
I've never had good luck with those all in one security suites. They seem to be very RAM hungry and one of the apps is always running. Like others have said, remove the suite and install seperate apps instead.

I use avast anti virus, SpywareBlaster and Spybot. MalWalrebytes AntiMalware is pretty good too. For a fire wall, the free version of Zone Alarm works well. With those apps I have had zero problems with problem programs and my machine runs smooth as butter.

Oh, and don't listen to the advice given by pitt_transplant. There is absolutely no reason to reinstall drivers or IE.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM

905 posts, read 2,163,399 times
TBH, there is no reason to ever install IE in the first place...

Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
TBH, there is no reason to ever install IE in the first place...
You need it for updates from M$, and a rare site now and then.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,721,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Actually, if your running Firebox you can install the add-on called IE Tab. It will render pages as if it was IE. When I use FF to go to Windows Updates it automatically switches to an IE tab and installs updates with no problems.

One less reason to run IE.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Actually, if your running Firebox you can install the add-on called IE Tab. It will render pages as if it was IE. When I use FF to go to Windows Updates it automatically switches to an IE tab and installs updates with no problems.

One less reason to run IE.
IE Tab simply embeds IE in a FF tab, but it is M$ IE Code that is running, along with all the flaws that IE contains. It's a great addon to FF, but it does not eliminate the need to have IE on your system.

If you are running XP SP3 you can't even remove IE without rolling back to SP2. Pretty much embedded in Windows.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:16 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Asheville Native is right and Mushroom is wrong on this. Regardless of the reason you want to post, IE is sometime needed and no other browser will do. ActiveX applications do not always run the same when ported to FireFox. Just try running Webmail against an Exchange server to see the difference between the features available in FireFox vs. IE.

Run any browser you want, but there is absolutely no sound reason to uninstall IE.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 PM

905 posts, read 2,163,399 times
Well yeah you need it for updates to MS, but I also never got SP3.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 1,149,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I have a Compaq laptop that I bought new a few months ago. For the past month, it has been freezing up many times a day especially if you open a second window, close that one, then go to close the other..it is frozen. I can still move the pointer, just cant exit out. A lot of times the screen will go hazy and say internet explorer has stopped working, and I can either cancel it or let it restart IE. I am thinking it has something to do with Vista, but our desktop does not do this. Ran a virus and spyware scan, but did not find anything. Its really making us angry! What is going on???
You don't have enough RAM to run your Windows O/S. Today you need at least 2G. If you don't have that much see if you can add RAM to the computer you have.
Also do regular maintenance by disk cleanup or like I do run WinUtilities (pay software) to increase your performance and get rid of unnecessary files.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:38 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
You don't have enough RAM to run your Windows O/S. Today you need at least 2G. If you don't have that much see if you can add RAM to the computer you have.
Also do regular maintenance by disk cleanup or like I do run WinUtilities (pay software) to increase your performance and get rid of unnecessary files.
Way to resurrect a 6-yr old thread, kitty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or