U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 AM

309 posts, read 771,683 times

Advertisements

[quote=basaltfire;7385496]just defragged my machine..........ran ccleaner
and avg-free08 i dont undrstand how to program it to just run while, i'm online.
and thats it...

dell vostro 1700 xp sp3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basaltfire View Post
i use cc leaner weekly and malwarebytes anti malwae weekly too

norton blows and so does mcaffee does too
Are you running both of those programs, as well as AVG?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:01 AM

not all at once
cc in the morn malaware after work and avg before bed

Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
I was thinking if you have both Norton's and McAfee, as well as AVG, their could be conflicts. I'd just have one antivirus/firewall or one AV with the addition of some other firewall.

Also, I don't think you have to do a virus scan so often.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Once it is up, open task manager and see how many processes are running. A laptop with wireless running should have no more than 34 - 36.

If you have more you have a lot of unnecessary junk starting up, plus many programs installed want to start their automatic update component, or start some of their components so the program will launch quicker when you run it, all 100% unnecessary and a waste of resources.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM

67 posts, read 196,669 times
You could go to run and type in services.msc and click enter. This will open up the services that are set to start up automatically. Windows Vista had a severe problem with boot times and I found it typically related to Cyberlink utilities. If you find Cyberlink utilities in the services.msc you can set them to start up automatically, but delayed. Also, others have recommended msconfig to check startup to see what all is starting up at once. A better bet would be to check the registry, but if you aren't familiar with the registry then you shouldn't mess with it. Make sure you have only ONE antivirus and only ONE anti-spyware and only ONE firewall, if you so choose. Good free software: AVG Antivirus 8, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, COMODO Personal Firewall, Avira Antivir (an antivirus that competes with AVG) and ZoneAlarm used to be pretty decent but I am not sure how it is now. I would've recommended Ad-aware, but it is bloated these days and not that great.

General maintenance: clean out all temporary files, clean out your prefetch folders (prefetch can actually be beneficial to overall system performance, too, however), delete temporary internet files and cookies, defragment your hard drive, run a check disk (chkdsk), delete system restore points regularly and start anew, move your page file to a different partition, scan for viruses, adware, trojans, etc, run disk cleanup utility (also cleans out temp files), uninstall programs you do not use anymore, use ccleaner to check for registry errors (always make a backup of your registry before doing this) and delete temp files and etc.

Weekly: Quick virus and spyware scans
Monthly: Deleting temporary files, cookies, defragmenting hard drive, full system virus/spyware scans, disk cleanup utility
Every Couple of Months: Run chkdsk utility to scan hard drive for errors, bad clusters, etc
Six months to a year: Run sfc/ scannow command to make sure protected Windows files still intact (might require original OS disc)
(Optional) Yearly to per 18 months: Reformat your PC completely

Old 02-09-2009, 04:50 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbound2024 View Post
You could go to run and type in services.msc and click enter. This will open up the services that are set to start up automatically. Windows Vista had a severe problem with boot times and I found it typically related to Cyberlink utilities. If you find Cyberlink utilities in the services.msc you can set them to start up automatically, but delayed. Also, others have recommended msconfig to check startup to see what all is starting up at once. A better bet would be to check the registry, but if you aren't familiar with the registry then you shouldn't mess with it.
Services and registry editing are things a novice user should definetly not mess with, they can cause much more harm than good playing around with things they don't understand. 99% of performance issues on new computers can be fixed without playing with those.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Services and registry editing are things a novice user should definetly not mess with, they can cause much more harm than good playing around with things they don't understand. 99% of performance issues on new computers can be fixed without playing with those.
You'd be surprised; Vista issues with Cyberlink are plenty. And I did not recommend him mess with the registry (I said it was an option, but he shouldn't mess with if not familiar). If someone ONLY messes with the Cyberlink service--if it is there--in the services.msc, then they aren't going to mess anything up. Just having him check to see if he had the Cyberlink service is fine. If it's not there, then on to something else.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 AM

like i said xp op del vostro
run ccleaner once aweek malwarebyets one a week and avg on my system

Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 PM

How much memory do you have? What are the system specs in general? Also, if you have a trojan like zlob or another infection like virtumonde, then it is possible free solutions won't always detect them. These can cause some pretty serious performance related issues. Though I think MalwareBytes has detected at least some zlob variants in the past. Download a free trial of Kaspersky or Webroot SpySweeper with Antivirus and see if they detect anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or