U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
- Unplug and let set overnight.
- Get a grounding bracelet to work inside as static zap will damage your board
- put on latex gloves, grounding bracelet and clean out with an air can and a camera lens blower.Finger grease will damage your board and make dirt stick more

I can't even begin to imagine why you think the PC needs to be unplugged overnight, nor the reason for latex gloves, this isn't brain surgery. A grounding strap is also not a requirement to use canned air
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 PM

3,450 posts, read 3,721,106 times
Quote:
- Unplug and let set overnight.
- Get a grounding bracelet to work inside as static zap will damage your board
- put on latex gloves, grounding bracelet and clean out with an air can and a camera lens blower.Finger grease will damage your board and make dirt stick more

Gunk also gets up in the actual fan so thats where you will use the photo brush

Bigger programs like gaming and photo stuff make your processer create a lot of heat. You can get extra fans to put in your computer. Some of them light up. They are cheap too.

Computer Cooling, Case Fans, CPU Processor Fans, Cooler Systems at TigerDirect.com

heat and dirt = slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Good luck!
A photo brush? Those are meant for delicate work on lenses, not on PC parts. Compressed air from a can or a small air compressor is perfect.

Letting it sit over night is unnecessary too, five minutes is enough time for things to cool down.

Static straps aren't needed to clean out a PC. Merely opening the case will dissipate any static you have.

Finger grease will not damage the board either, unless you just changed to oil on your car and didn't wash up.

Seriously, where do you get this stuff?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM

8,415 posts, read 35,741,403 times
Sorry but thats just not true. Anyone that collects comic can tell you how nasty the acidic oil on your fingertips is. Put that on your delicate circuit board is not a good idea. I put on the gloves because I use lotion and a cuticle balm with lemon...I'm sure those circuits would luuuuuuuuuuuuv that.

EVERYONE knows you don't open up anything electronic without grounding yourself. And otherwise you pick up static yourself and give a static zap to your boards. Not good.

Those photo brushes puff air and never run out. Cans do and pollute in the process plus you are inhaling all that nasty crap in the air that comes out with it is not good to inhale (etrafluoroethane/or difluoroethane ) + garbage ahoy and I kinda find it dumb to pay for air or bottled water...thats a personal opinion on why I wont pay for it...lol. I am always afraid too that I will over blast it and screw something up.

Just one random article about the finger oil problem:
Circuit Board Etching
"Cleaning the Board:
When you get the circuit board, it will likely be slightly oxidized. This oxidation and any oil from your fingers has to be removed. To do this, I use some 180 grit sandpaper. Sand the board under running water until it's all uniformly shiny. Don't touch the copper after cleaning it. Dry the board with clean paper towels. If you accidently touch the board, clean it with rubbing alcohol."

about "grounding"

What should you touch before working inside of a tower - CNET Computer newbies Forums

How To Open a computer tower case safely

The bracelet is easier. Opening the case doesn't take the static out of your body or if you lift your hands from the tower and make your own static with your movement and zap your board.

But really this pretty much sums it up:
Cleaning Your Computer (http://www.mhc.ab.ca/services/educational-technology/resources/cleaning.htm - broken link)

You would not believe the crap I pulled out of this computer I cleaned. It was a tower that had not been touched inside for 2 years in city air, 1 by trains. I actually had to scoop gunk out from the fan blades with that brushy thing. It came out in chunks...I thought the fan was burning out because it was going slow and grinding..But CHUNKS of dust were slowing the fan!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Sorry but thats just not true. Anyone that collects comic can tell you how nasty the acidic oil on your fingertips is. Put that on your delicate circuit board is not a good idea. I put on the gloves because I use lotion and a cuticle balm with lemon...I'm sure those circuits would luuuuuuuuuuuuv that.
Comic books are not even remotely comparible to circuit boards, I handle boards on a daily basis with no gloves, no problems at all.

Quote:
EVERYONE knows you don't open up anything electronic without grounding yourself. And otherwise you pick up static yourself and give a static zap to your boards. Not good.
I've never used a wrist strap in my 15 years in the service industry, just touch the case once in a while to remain equalized.

Quote:
Those photo brushes puff air and never run out.
I can blow through a straw harder than those blow.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:28 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Quote:
Sorry but thats just not true. Anyone that collects comic can tell you how nasty the acidic oil on your fingertips is. Put that on your delicate circuit board is not a good idea.
Maybe you need to stick to collecting comics, circuit boards are pretty damn tough, and impervious to any little amount of finger crease. And further down you say to sand them under running water, WTF DUDE are you not paying attention?

Quote:
Opening is not a hazard, and EVERYONE that has any experience working on computers knows that.

Quote:
Those photo brushes puff air and never run out. Cans do and pollute in the process plus you are inhaling all that nasty crap in the air that comes out with it is not good to inhale (etrafluoroethane/or difluoroethane ) + garbage ahoy and I kinda find it dumb to pay for air or bottled water...thats a personal opinion on why I wont pay for it...lol. I am always afraid too that I will over blast it and screw something up.
A photo brush will never clean out dust buildup from a heatsink, nor will gentle little puffs from a squeeze bulb.

Quote:
Just one random article about the finger oil problem:
Dude, please read the links you find with quick google searches in some attempt to prove your are correct. ETCHING a circuit board is a whole different ball of wax, that is where you 'etch' the circuits onto a board after you have designed the circuit, you know EE stuff (no I bet you don't know) Your information is so wrong, and this type of misinformation scares a lot of people unnecessarily.

Or sand your motehrboard with 180 grit sandpaper under running water and let us know how that works for you. (You will need a different PC to give us your updates from)

Quote:
about "grounding"
If you are installing something new, or adding memory, they grounding is a good idea, and resting your hand on the metal frame is all that is needed. simply lifting your hand off does not create a static charge, but walking across the room and back would, simple, TOUCH THE METAL FRAME BEFORE TOUCHING A CIRCUIT CARD. If you ain't touching a circuit card, you ain't going to zap it.

Surprised you haven't recommended a level 2 respirator to keep from breathing in the dust that will result from cleaning the dust out of a PC

Last edited by Asheville Native; 02-10-2009 at 02:44 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM

588 posts, read 2,585,751 times
Holy moly! The level of mis-information in Pitt_Transplant's post is mind-boggling. I have to ask, do you actually practice what you preach?

Other than occasionally grounding myself on a metal object, I do none of the things you recommend. I am an EE who has been designing and testing computer motherboards for 15+ years. For the record, only a brand new bare PCB will oxidize. Any PCB the end user will handle has all the copper coated with either soldermask or solder - finger oils are not going to cause a problem.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 AM

3,450 posts, read 3,721,106 times
Pitt_transplant please stop. Your completely off base with your post. I have been building and repairing PCs for over ten years. None of what you said is true.

1. Finger grease does not hurt circuit boards. Maybe your eating KFC before working on them, I don't know.

2. Grounding yourself is as simple as touching the computers metal case while your opening it. Of all the PC I've worked on, I have never had a problem due to static electricity.

3. Camera brushes will NOT clean a PC of dust bunnies. Canned air is fine. Don't shake it or hold it upside down and everything will be fine. Yeah it's expensive, but a can will last a long time if your PC doesn't collect a lot of dust. If your worried about the dust in the air, take it outside.

4. Sanding a circuit board?!?! WTF? If you sand your circuit board, you'll have much larger problems than finger oil. Go ahead and try it. *rolls eyes*

Please quit posting this tripe. Your not helping anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or