U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,743,469 times

Advertisements

I love to... Because its just so funny to see the reactions when the lighted box wont behave for a few minutes of sweet nerd powered torture until you tell the person how to fix it.

Here is a really simple one to do:

A simple older prank

It doesn't harm the system. I inverted the picture on mine and laughed as the s.o. restarted it 8 times when the icons wouldnt work....lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,645,083 times
Ah the moment I read the topic that was the one that instantly came to my mind.
If you are in a cubicle farm or otherwise closely positioned to someone else's computer you can always swap the mice. They'll think they have been hacked when you start running the mouse all over the screen clicking on things.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Ahhh, that ones a classic. There's also a program floating around that will throw up fake BSOD's with rediculous error messages

Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,721,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

It doesn't harm the system. I inverted the picture on mine and laughed as the s.o. restarted it 8 times when the icons wouldnt work....lol

Yeah we pulled that on a guy a few years ago. He wasn't the brightest bulb. Anyhow, he couldn't figure it out. When I came back from lunch, one of the tier two support people was reloading Windows. I couldn't figure out who was dumber, the guy or the tier two person.

Anyhow, another easy one is to go into Word use Auto Correct to change words like 'and' into words like 'stink' or whatever you can come up with. You can be real subtle about it, that way the annoying secretary will make all kinds of spelling and grammar mistakes and end up working at Mickey D's.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:14 PM

905 posts, read 2,163,399 times
Haha I've done the print screen trick to some people. It's amazing how dumb people can be when it comes to computers.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:18 PM

67 posts, read 196,669 times
In normal computer troubleshooting, I highly doubt people think to check the background for a prank background. However, I do think they should check to see if the icons are selected to be shown on the desktop.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 PM

830 posts, read 2,596,481 times
Back in college, when DOS was still cool, I once created a simple batch file that started up when my friend turned on his computer. It printed out a warning saying the hard drive has experienced a serious error and all data will be destroyed, please turn off your computer immediately. I thought it was hilarious. He freaked. Haha!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:49 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,303,966 times
Default Computer Pranks

Be very careful with computer pranks...some people may not take what you are doing lightly. My husband is KING of the computer geeks...he is a Senior Unix Systems Engineer with a large company and as far as I am concerned is the all time GURU of how to detect bad stuff on computers. I cannot stress enough to you and others like you how sophisticated the equipment is out there to detect people like you and how severe the penalties are for doing what you are doing.

By the way, the FBI has some pretty sophisticated equipment that can track I.P. addresses and see who is doing what should that I.P. address have some suspicious activity going on with it. Since 911, there isn't much that gets by computer folks who are more intent on keeping us safe than pulling jokes on people.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:51 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,303,966 times
Default Computer Pranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ahhh, that ones a classic. There's also a program floating around that will throw up fake BSOD's with rediculous error messages
And you think this is funny because??? Read my post on pulling computer pranks....this stuff is childish and not as funny as you think. Geesh...

Old 04-05-2009, 12:20 AM

905 posts, read 2,163,399 times
Why are you bringing up the FBI and IP tracking on someone pulling a prank on their roommate or sibling? Yeesh, you need to chill out. Take off the tinfoil hat and live life a bit, laughter is good for the soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or