U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:08 PM

23,985 posts, read 23,221,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good reason to buy a Mac. Yes, the connection is "magnetized."

I am stuck w/ an HP laptop w/ a loose power cord connection. Repair cost? $450 as the techs who looked at it said the connection had affected the mother board somehow. Anyway, as you can imagine, we opted to forego that repair.

I only wish I had known about the "jerkstopper" b/f that HP got screwed up. We have no clue why that cord/outlet suddenly came "loose" - no accidents. Just one day, it started seeming loose and then the power cut on and off for several days - then died. Now you can plug it up and there is not connectivity at all.
I cannot figure out for the life of me why all computers Desk Top / Lap Tops don't use a magnetic connections... Yes one reason of many to buy a Mac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 PM

17 posts, read 28,889 times
Quote:
Every gimmick address a need. It just that gimmicks will disappear after they are found to be less valuable than the salesmen make them out to be.
Time will tell on that one . . .And I guess (by your definition) the MagSafe fits in that category (gimmick) as well.

Quote:
Yes it would be sold by people that repair those pins, it brings them more business. It clips into the jack (or as the website says "positive lock ports"). The jack will take the brunt of the abuse. You save a power jack at the sacrifice of another.
Your opinion ... Like I said, we haven't had a damaged port yet, nor have any of the shops and other resellers providing the product.

btw ... The guys and gals repairing power pins have a slightly different view than yours I guess. Most of them feel like they are doing their customers a service by preventing further problems of that type.

Quote:
I support laptops in schools. Kids are not exactly gentle with them. Of all the calls I've been on that start with "A kid kicked the power cord out..." I have yet to replace a power pin. It is always the cord that gives first, they are designed that way anymore which is why manufacturers don't already implement some sort of power cord hold down on the laptops.
Actually there is a large variety of different cord & pin configurations...some come out easily some not at all.

And for what ever it's worth (or not) repair shops near campus' sell more pin repairs than those further away (from the campus). Hmmmmm

Fort Hays University has a direct link to our website (unsolicited and unknown to me until recently) ...

Funny how that works . . .

Jerkstopper prevents AC connector damage

Photography Gadgets — All Gadgets All The Time

Small Business Tech: Jerk Stopper

Solve Your Cable Problems with a JerkStopper (http://www.gadgetspy.co.uk/2008/02/07/solve-your-cable-problems-with-a-jerkstopper - broken link)

» Power Cable Safety Net is a USB JerkStopper

Experience Mobility » Blog Archive

FixMyJack.com's Blog Spot: NEW Cable Retention Device (CRD) hits market, (helps stop dc jack damages)

The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte

http://www.podcultureblog.com/

YouTube - Chris Pirillo - Don't Jerk Your Power Cables!

Quote:
Go ahead and keep trying to convince us though, it's funny in a sad way.
Don't need to "convince" you .... Did want to provide some factual information.

My offer still stands ... Can I send you a sample?

Last edited by Tech Jerk; 02-11-2009 at 10:39 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I cannot figure out for the life of me why all computers Desk Top / Lap Tops don't use a magnetic connections... Yes one reason of many to buy a Mac.
Might be that Apple is hanging on the the rights to the item or it might be because they are having there fair share of problems with the connector.

Leo LaPorte (XTechTV Guy) uses a JerkStopper for the same reason as most of our MAC customers.

The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte

And there have been more than a few problems connected with the "magSafe" design and implementation ...

AppleDefects.com » MagSafe - Customer Complaints & Issues - Defective Apple Products, iPod, MacBook, iMac, Mac problems

Laptops: MacBook Magnetic MagSafe Connector Not So Safe After All

MacBook Pro - Another MagSafe fire! - Mac-Forums.com

My Magsafe Just Caught Fire!! - Mac Forums

Last edited by Tech Jerk; 02-11-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Seems like it would cause your whole laptop to fall off the desk instead of possibly damaging the cord. And on my laptop the modem port is close to the front, catty-corner from the power plug, so it would make my power cord a couple feet shorter (more or less, depending on what side of the computer the power outlet is located.

The cord on my Toshiba adapter detaches from the transformer as well as the power cord, and when I've tripped over it it detaches from the transformer pretty easily.
You can easily knock your laptop on the floor without the help of a cable stay. Ask any repair shop about that one.

If your cord detaches from the brick 1st, without straining the power pin that's great. According to the largest number of the shops I do business with, it's the incremental damage to the pin. The daily tugging and "jerking".

Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
They why didn't you also give the option of using the hardened security slot present in most laptops, frequently on a rear corner.

I just don't have any comfort connecting this to any port that is possibly connected to the motherboard.
Actually I'm working on another version that does connect to the K port. And we have one that clamps to a cable that is already connected to the K Port.

Problem or resistance at the IT level with the K port is that most larger companies are using that port in office deployment.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good reason to buy a Mac. Yes, the connection is "magnetized."

I am stuck w/ an HP laptop w/ a loose power cord connection. Repair cost? $450 as the techs who looked at it said the connection had affected the mother board somehow. Anyway, as you can imagine, we opted to forego that repair.

I only wish I had known about the "jerkstopper" b/f that HP got screwed up. We have no clue why that cord/outlet suddenly came "loose" - no accidents. Just one day, it started seeming loose and then the power cut on and off for several days - then died. Now you can plug it up and there is not connectivity at all.
Maybe not . . .

AppleDefects.com » MagSafe - Customer Complaints & Issues - Defective Apple Products, iPod, MacBook, iMac, Mac problems

Laptops: MacBook Magnetic MagSafe Connector Not So Safe After All

MacBook Pro - Another MagSafe fire! - Mac-Forums.com

My Magsafe Just Caught Fire!! - Mac Forums

Old 02-11-2009, 10:06 PM

Default RJ series port damage . . . NOT

Compare the amount of mounting surface for the RJ series port (the entire outside area locks into the case) to the spindly little mounting legs on the power pin port.

RJ45 Port

Dell Power port (damaged)

And remember, more than half the power pin repairs are because the center ground or connector came loose. The other half because the spindly little legs gave up the ghost.

The Dell connector above lost the center connector, the same problem with many Fujitsu connectors like the one below...

The two lugs and the three spindly little legs are all that hold power pin port to the motherboard on most laptops.

Last edited by Tech Jerk; 02-11-2009 at 10:20 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Jerk View Post
You can easily knock your laptop on the floor without the help of a cable stay. Ask any repair shop about that one.

If your cord detaches from the brick 1st, without straining the power pin that's great. According to the largest number of the shops I do business with, it's the incremental damage to the pin. The daily tugging and "jerking".
I realize you can knock it off without a cable stay, but it seems like the stay would make it more likely. I'd rather replace a power pin than a cracked screen or case. And I'm not sure what would cause the tugging or jerking other than that kind of incident. I set mine down on a table and plug it in. When I'm done I unplug it. I'd have to do that with or without the Jerkstopper.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I realize you can knock it off without a cable stay, but it seems like the stay would make it more likely. I'd rather replace a power pin than a cracked screen or case. And I'm not sure what would cause the tugging or jerking other than that kind of incident. I set mine down on a table and plug it in. When I'm done I unplug it. I'd have to do that with or without the Jerkstopper.
I agree .... If you never accidentally pull or tug on the cable (beyond plugging or unplugging it) then you probably don't need our product. Not everyone does.

But I gotta tell you I get letters from people that tell me that the dog hits the cable, a son or daughter jerks on the cable or when they pick up the laptop the cable snags on a desk drawer pull or the phone....Lots of reasons.

And for whatever it's worth
, in talking to our repair shop customers they tell me that the laptops that they repair the most (power pin wise) are: HP (Pavilion and Omnibook), Compaq (Armada and Presario series), Dell (Inspiron and Latitude), Acer (Travelmate and Aspire especially), Toshiba (Satellite series), Sony (Vaio), Averatec, Fujitsu, IBM (Thinkpad), Gateway, Emachines, Samsung, Asus and Panasonic.

Last edited by Tech Jerk; 02-11-2009 at 10:36 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 06:03 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,219 times
I'm sorry . . . that's half the laptops on the market. I've never heard of anyone having this problem, and just about everyone I know has laptops and has used them for years . . . never anyone at my old law firm, where dozens of people had laptops and used them daily. Don't take it personally, but your credibility is undermined by the fact you're trying to sell the product. Anyway, I think the OP's question has been answered; no one here uses it, and the only one who thinks it's a good idea is the guy trying to sell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or