Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,225 times

Advertisements

Had to get a new notebook, as the power jack on our old one was loose, and the cost to repair was not worth it.

So, I'm wondering if anyone is using a thing called the "Jerkstopper" on their Laptop to prevent power jack damage?

JerkStopper

marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
I'm curious what the quoted repair cost was? Any good shop can replace the jack, they can be had for 30 or 40 bucks on the web, I usually charge around $170- $200 depending on the laptop. Some of them even only require a resolder job to fix the problem.
Wanna sell your old laptop cheap

Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Had to get a new notebook, as the power jack on our old one was loose, and the cost to repair was not worth it.

So, I'm wondering if anyone is using a thing called the "Jerkstopper" on their Laptop to prevent power jack damage?

JerkStopper

marc
So instead of the power jack taking the brunt of the damage from a sudden jerk, they make the USB or RJ45 port take it? Doesn't seem like that would be any better.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
I didn't even look at the link, oops. I would seriously stay away from that thing, for the reason st33 stated, doesn't make much sense to sacrifice one port for another.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:31 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,685 times
The only way I see one of these working is to have 3 or 4 in a line to reduce the strain on each port.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
I suppose you could plug one of those into a modem port. I haven't used a modem for several years.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 AM

717 posts, read 1,149,520 times
I have seen a similar thingamajig on someone's laptop at the airport. I don't know if it was a "Jerkstopper". Anyway, it took the whole laptop down, instead of just the power cord!!! I'm guessing because there were two points of attachments between the power cord and the laptop.

It was an accident waiting to happen. Clearly, it was the laptop owners fault for positioning himself at a location where people were moving about.

Maybe that's why they call it a "Jerkstopper". It clearly stopped him from using his crapped out notebook.

As an aside, have you guys seen the Magsafe feature on a Macbook? They don't even highlight this feature. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

Basically, the power is attached to the Macbook via a "magnet-like" connection (haven't verified this) that when the wire is accidentally pulled, it just disconnects cleanly without causing any damage. I've also seen this happen a couple of times on a friend's Macbook. It works great. I hope other notebook makers adopt this way of attaching the power cord.

Last edited by fastninja500; 02-10-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 AM

17 posts, read 32,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

JerkStopper

marc
Hi Marc ... I helped develop the JerkStopper. They are sold at more than 100 laptop repairs shops around the country. They work. Nothing is gonna help a laptop if it gets pitched on the floor btw. The product was designed to keep the strain from "normal" tugging and pulling on the cord from damaging the fragile little power pin. We have had guys like Chris Pirillo and Leo LaPorte give us good reviews for the product ... Leo even uses one on his MagSafe equipped MAC because the power cord keeps falling off at inappropriate times.

Link to Chris's Video is:
YouTube - Don't Jerk Your Power Cables!
Link to Leo's PodCast is: The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte

Sorry I couldn't figure out the "right way" to do the links.

Last edited by Tech Jerk; 02-10-2009 at 11:00 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
So instead of the power jack taking the brunt of the damage from a sudden jerk, they make the USB or RJ45 port take it? Doesn't seem like that would be any better.
When we designed the JerkStoppers we spent a great deal of time testing the product. The RJ series are actually hollow inside so their isn't anything to actually damage a RJ port. We tried and failed to actually damage a port. The USB JerkStopper is a snug fit but will release with some pressure (more than a normal USB device).

With thousands of JerkStoppers in use we have yet to have even a single complaint about damage to a port. In testing I could carry a mid-size laptop around by the power cord without damaging wither the power pin or the RJ11 port.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
The only way I see one of these working is to have 3 or 4 in a line to reduce the strain on each port.
One works fine to take the strain off the power pin. The kits comes with 3 (1 each USB, RJ11 and RJ45) so that the laptop owner can fit the correct Jerkstopper to the configuration of his or her laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers