U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 AM

54 posts, read 284,800 times

Advertisements

My mother wants a computer in order to be able to receive email, view grandkid pictures and search the internet. She doesn't need it to do much more than that. Where should she go to get a copmuter that isn't loaded up with too many extras, is a good price and most importantly, will be easy to plug in and go?
THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXUsername View Post
My mother wants a computer in order to be able to receive email, view grandkid pictures and search the internet. She doesn't need it to do much more than that. Where should she go to get a copmuter that isn't loaded up with too many extras, is a good price and most importantly, will be easy to plug in and go?
THANKS!
Depends where she is.
For the UK: Currys, comet (if they still exist) PC World etc.
In the USA: Circuit City etc

Or any computer shop.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:44 AM

11,710 posts, read 11,301,056 times
Circuit City is in bankrupcy, so I wouldn't buy anything there that depended on a store warranty.

Best Buy is still around. WalMart sells computers too.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 AM

54 posts, read 284,800 times
She lives in the U.S. Also, can you recommend certain brands or setups that would be easy to plug in and go?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM

11,710 posts, read 11,301,056 times
Buy a brand name you recognize and then look for a low price. For all you want it to do, most any computer should meet your needs.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,308 times
Quote:
She lives in the U.S. Also, can you recommend certain brands or setups that would be easy to plug in and go?

I have found the Acer Travelmate Series laptops are pretty good. You may want to find a local computer store that is not a big box store like Best Buy. They may sell computers that are loaded with only the essentials and they may also have a better repair service. A lot of computers bought at stores like Best Buy have tons of software preloaded that you will never use and their repair services are a joke.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 AM

701 posts, read 993,899 times
Quote:
THANKS!
If that's all the computer will be used for, maybe a netbook will work for her. Of course, the screen size will be a major factor, depending on how good her eye sight is.

A Quick Guide to Netbooks

My friend just bought a MSI Wind from Ebay for $249.00 (plus shipping). I was a bit skeptical at first. It was a model for the Spanish market, I think. It had some extra keys for the "Spanish N", among others.

Then he brought it over and we installed Windows XP, Linux Mint and even the Hackintosh OSX86! It freaking works great! And it's so light. Of course, it didn't have a DVD player/writer. So we plugged in an external DVD burner to the USB port and loaded it with converted movies.

I'm shopping around Ebay for one myself. But the $249 price seems to be gone. It's a bit higher now.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 PM

573 posts, read 616,606 times
J and R has a popular Acer netbook selling for $270 with free shipping. However, that is the net price after a $50 mail in rebate:

Acer Computer AOA110-1588 Aspire One 8.9" Notebook PC - Blue in PC Notebook Computers at JR.com

Dell's online store has their Mini 9 netbook for $249. However, it has only 512K memory and a 4GB SSD drive. It also comes with Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows. If she has not used Windows, Ubuntu may actually be simpler and faster for her needs than Windows and 512K memory is plenty for resource-frugal Linux.

If she can deal with an 800x400 resolution screen and a small pullout keyboard, the Nokia N810 touchscreen tablet with GPS is now selling for 1/3 of its original price. I have seen it as low as $200 but finding it "in stock" at that price may be difficult.

Reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N810-Por...owViewpoints=1

Last edited by Tennis702; 02-10-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM

573 posts, read 616,606 times
For checking prices on items, I usually go to http: //gooplusplus.com

Fill in the search box and then press the Shopping link at the top of page (middle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or