Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

I downloaded both versions of Win7 32 and 64 bit.

I lost both. Grrr!!!!!

Anyone know how to get a copy? I am not a fan of P2P so that's out. I keep hoping someplace like filehippo or download.com might have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Never mind, I found both of them. Some days I am an absolute dingbat!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:05 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
Funny, I decided to finally get around to downloading it, literally 90 minutes after Microsoft stopped offering the download. Oops.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
I just installed this yesterday on a test machine at work. It's an old Dell Optiplex GX260 with a 1.80 Ghz CPU, 512 MB of RAM, Intel graphics etc. So far I like it. It runs smooth as butter and looks great. The only drivers it didn't load were the graphics driver and the integrated audio. I got the video driver from Dell (the XP version) and it loaded fine using Compatibility mode. I still can't get the audio driver to load though, but that isn't a big deal right now.

If they can keep this OS running this well by release time I'll finally update from W2K at home.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM

277 posts, read 626,905 times
I deleted after a couple of weeks, I downloaded the 64bit beta and it detected my monitor wrong and I could not even read the dialog boxes to install it, I had to guess what they were. It would not install on a SATA drive I tried and my ASUS P5K-VM motherboard didn't have any suitable drivers that I could load so it could install it on the SATA drive. It still uses more resources then XP so I don't see the point. They dumbed down the OS so it is harder to figure things out then XP. I could not get some very expensive programs to run but they might work on the 32bit version, I might try the 32bit version when it is released but for now I will stick with XP, 2000 and WHS.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
I deleted after a couple of weeks, I downloaded the 64bit beta and it detected my monitor wrong and I could not even read the dialog boxes to install it, I had to guess what they were. It would not install on a SATA drive I tried and my ASUS P5K-VM motherboard didn't have any suitable drivers that I could load so it could install it on the SATA drive. It still uses more resources then XP so I don't see the point. They dumbed down the OS so it is harder to figure things out then XP. I could not get some very expensive programs to run but they might work on the 32bit version, I might try the 32bit version when it is released but for now I will stick with XP, 2000 and WHS.
It was likely the graphics card that was the issue, not the monitor.
You can use Vista drivers for almost any piece of hardware with Win7.
The point is XP is 8 years old and it will be joining Windows 98 and 2000 in the unsupported OS arena before long.

Funny though, I installed it using a P5K-VM 1394 we had kicking around the shop and it gave me no problems at all.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:16 AM

277 posts, read 626,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It was likely the graphics card that was the issue, not the monitor.
You can use Vista drivers for almost any piece of hardware with Win7.
The point is XP is 8 years old and it will be joining Windows 98 and 2000 in the unsupported OS arena before long.

Funny though, I installed it using a P5K-VM 1394 we had kicking around the shop and it gave me no problems at all.
I got most of the drivers once it was installed but my point is that the included drivers sucked to the point I could not see the dialog boxes while installing, my monitor was set to 1680x1050 towards the end of the install but the refresh rate was off so far that the picture was too distorted to read the dialog boxes, I used this computer with the onboard Intel graphics. I could not find any 64 bit Vista drivers that would let me install on my SATA drive, I might have been able to find 32 bit drivers that worked with the 32 bit version of Windows 7 but I only downloaded the 64 bit beta. I installed it on an older drive with no problems I just did not care about the so called improvements over XP.

XP is end of life now but I believe it will be supported through 2014, XPembedded will be available for a long time still, BTW WHS installed with no trouble at all on a SATA drive on the same PC. Vista is a bloated resource hog that offers me no benefit for anything I use a PC for, Windows 7 is supposed to be less of a resource hog but it is still not as efficient as XP.

This PC is one of about 10 I use in my home, I have XP embedded, XP home, XP Pro, XP Pro 64bit, MCE2005, WHS and Windows 2000. I like all of these better than Windows 7, I don't need the media center on Windows 7 because I use SageTV on a headless server with hardware extenders for video distribution throughout my House.

I could care less about most of what Microsoft changed visually since XP because I only use PCs for Photo or video editing, web browsing and as servers for media and Home Automation. I also have 4 very low power touchscreens for my Home Automation setup, most of my PCs are very low power and are used in my Home control and I like a leaner OS that does not require a lot of hardware to run on. XP embedded is great for these.

When I replace my Laptop, the new one will probably be loaded with Windows 7 but other than that I see no compelling reason to buy new Operating Systems for my current computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers