U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 02:56 PM

347 posts, read 1,012,442 times

Advertisements

Something happened to my Start Menu, and my task manager.

Ok, the events that possibly led up to this. Or it's unrelated.
Firstly, I am running windows XP. Everything was fine all morn. Then I ran a program/software called Zacbrowser. Link: ZAC Browser - Zone for Autistic Children My brother had installed this ages ago for my Autistic child, so I finally thought to check it out. ZB loaded/started, then I clicked on the games link, selected a game, and then it froze. On the top right it said ctrl+L to exit, so I tried that a few times. No avail. Then I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del so I could select Task Manager from the list of 6 options, and shut ZB from there. Nothing happened. So exasperated, I shut down with the power button. Restarted. Went online etc. When I went to shut down, I noticed that the 'Log off' and 'Shut Down' buttons were no longer there on my start menu! Weird. So I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, so I could choose Shut Down from there. Instead a pop-up window tells me that 'Task manager has been disabled by your administrator'. WTH?!!! As best as I know, I am the administrator, and I didn't do a thing!

Hopefully someone can tell me how to fix this! I poked about a bit, but I saw no obvious way to restore those buttons. I didn't want to experiment and cause something else to disappear. I guess I'll have to power off with the power button again. Sigh! I don't think it's a virus that caused this, but I'm gonna run AVG now just to be sure.

Help! Please! TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 11:44 PM

307 posts, read 1,084,619 times
If you go to Control Panel > User Accounts, are you still an Administrator?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:29 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
A quick Google search turned up these findings on a couple sites.

We have tested Zac Browser on Virustotal with 36 leading antivirus solutions and we found it to be probably infected with some kind of malware (spyware, viruses, trojans).. We'll test every updated version of Zac Browser and the security risk status may be changed, so you should check back this page.

And this thread in another forum
help...zacbrowser and puresight [Archive] - People CD - Remodeling the information and technology world for the end user.

So it's very possible your infected, between that and the problems your having, start by downloading and running malwarebytes after your AVG scan. And lesson learned, NEVER tust ANY software, even if it SEEMS to be legit, research first, then install

Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
If you go to Control Panel > User Accounts, are you still an Administrator?
yes, I am. I just checked. This is really puzzling. I'm still the administrator, but can't do any administrative tasks.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 AM

NHDave, Thanks for that info. My AVG scans showed no infections. Never heard of Malwarebytes. Will check it out and get back to you. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Unintentional de-escalation of privledges is never a good thing. Whether it's a side effect from buggy code, an undocumented feature or an infected binary, you should remove it asap until you know for sure.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up Yipeee! Yay! I fixed it! :)

I just fixed it. Endless hrs of Googling later, it's fixed.
Ok. Should anyone in the future run into the same issues, this is what I did.

For restoring the buttons on the Start Menu on XP:
  1. - Click [Start] [Run] type [Gpedit.msc]
  2. - [User Configuration] [Administrative Templates] [Start Menu and Taskbar]
  3. - In the right pane, double-click "Remove and disable the Turn off computer button" and set it to "Not Configured"
  4. - Set "Remove and prevent access to Shutdown command" to "Not Configured"
  5. - Restart
  • For "Log Off" button, select that in step 3.
In my case, it was already at "not configured". So I selected "disable" (the other option was enable- which you don't want in this case). The Button appeared. So then I went back and selected "not configured".

As for re-enabling Task Manager, the steps are here: Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator
Symptom
I used method 1.

And, yes, I have uninstalled ZacBrowser. AVG shows system to be clean. But I am gonna figure a way to check it with perhaps something else too, to be sure.

Arcane & NHDave, Thanks for your help.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:42 AM

Ah! I was looking in secpol.msc for these settings, I forgot about gpedit. Thought I'd lost my mind for a second. Good work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers