Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 PM

450 posts, read 2,047,295 times

Advertisements

I just got an H/P laptop and I have Vista. In Microsoft Office 2007 when I type in a colon or semi-colon as well as an em dash it is not positioned right. The : is not centered but too high--kind of sits up there after the last word typed almost postitioned like a quotation mark-- as is the; I am in Century font. Should I try changing fonts? What's up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,419,971 times
You realize you could have tried changing fonts in less time than it took to post your question don't you?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:09 AM

Wink Asheville: Don't have immediate access to computer.

The idea of changing the fonts was something I thought of after the fact as the computer in question is not in front of me. I will not be at the office location where the computer is for several days--so I thought I might get an answer, now, from someone who might have encountered this problem. It would put my mind to rest.

Also, it was a rhetorical question. If font changing is not a solution, perhaps, something else is.

Your reply is understandable, but I don't think it took into account my circumstances.

Asheville is a beautiful place. I lived in Hendersonville for a time and enjoyed the rhododendrons in the Spring.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,419,971 times
You were posting the message from exactly where? The wording made it sound like you were sitting right in front of the computer, when you said "I'm in Century font.........."

The computer you are sitting at has some version of a word processor? Have you compared Century font with other fonts on that computer?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:42 PM

Smile Thanks, Asheville. I got to my office and tried another font.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did make it in to the office--busy commute on Friday. I ditched Century and tried Callibrini (sp?) and it put the colon and semi-colon where I wanted them. I am at home typing on my Compac right now. I was not too clear about that. I envy you living in the mountains with the beautiful Spring to look forward to. When I was in Hendersonville the daffodils and tulips would last for weeks. They do not last long down here in Florida. We do have some nice azaleas that are starting to pop.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,917,314 times
Glad to hear it was just the particular font with the misaligned punctuation. One that I use on occasion (and very rarely, which is why I cannot remember the font's name) places the apostrophes at the wrong angle (downward from left to right rather than the normal downward from right to left if that makes sense).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers