U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,604 times

Advertisements

okay, i feel like a complete idiot... i'm reallllly good with computers, but somethings i guess i'm not the best at. I have a dell inspiron 1720... you can use the mouse, and as it shows in the dell touchpad on my dock the mouse moves.. but it doesnt move on the screen. After i get really frusterated with it, I I restart the system. [the correct way.] Once the computer is back on, the mouse moves but it just moves an inch each side....

i've tried contacting dell... and after two hours of trying to get a hold of someone and then explain the issue to them five times.... and they still don't understand what the problem is... I said thanks and have a good night. (Don't trust their customer service.. they have really crappy service. I could go on and on about dell.... )
If anyone has any ideas... i'd appreciate it..

--Thanks
Andrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 11:36 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
I'm sympathetic with Dell. It's hard to tell from your post just what your problem is. It sounds like problems I used to see with mechanical meeses. Try a different mouse. A mouse has become so cheap that it is now a throw-away device.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:50 AM

57 posts, read 322,169 times
wait, the touchpad does not work? or are you trying to use a mouse that does not work? i am misunderstanding.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:07 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Translation I believe is Mouse=Cursor.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
boot into safe mode and see if it works properly, if it does it may be a driver issue, if it doesn't the touchpad may be defective.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Location: Its easy to be a perfectionist when someone else is doing all the work.
2,245 posts, read 5,521,889 times
Default Maybe this will help?

How To Replace Mouse Balls

Re: Replacement of Mouse Balls.

If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Units). Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist-off method.

Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction. Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items. Please keep in mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy customer.

--

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 02-18-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Im sorry. :eek: The Devil made me post that. :eek:

Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM

11,613 posts, read 20,767,085 times
Sorry, couldn't help getting a chuckle out of that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post

It is recommended that each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction. Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items. Please keep in mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy customer.

--

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,568,563 times
Try reinstalling the driver for the mouse. If that doesn't work, the cable in the mouse could be broken. Try another mouse.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post

--
Wow! I think I first saw this about 20 years ago on FidoNet! What a memory.

Back ON-TOPIC. We still haven't seen a second post from the OP, so we're wasting our efforts since we still don't really know what is wrong.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-19-2009 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: trying to get back on topic

Old 02-20-2009, 03:31 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Like, what? I was wrong? Funny tho, thanks Kuharai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers