U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 AM

271 posts, read 955,138 times

Advertisements

I've had no problem going to craigslist.com for months now since purchasing my HP Windows laptop. But since last night I'm getting this message:

HTTP 403 Forbidden
The website declined to show this webpage.
Most likely causes: this website requires you to log in.

HUH???????????? Since when does Craigslist require that? How would I do that anyway?
Is anyone else having problems getting onto Craigslist? Anyone else getting a message like this? Since I'm a newbie with this laptop, I brought up the Help Info & got this:

The website declined to show this webpage (HTTP 403)

Internet Explorer is able to connect to the website, but Internet Explorer does not have permission to display the webpage. This can happen for a variety of reasons; here are some of the most common:
  • <LI class=listItem>The website's administrator has to give you permission to view the page or the web server does not accept public webpage requests. If this is a website that you should have access to, contact the website administrator.
    <LI class=listItem>The webpage you're trying to view is generated by a program, such as a shopping cart or search engine, and the folder on the server the program is contained in is not correctly configured by the website administrator.
  • You have typed a basic web address (for example, Example Web Page), but the website does not have a default webpage (such as index.htm or default.html). Additionally, the website does not allow directory listing, which allows you to view files in a web folder.
HUH?????!!!!!!!
What's going on? I already tried entering the Craigslist address various ways & get the same HTTP 403 response. Suggestions or Advice to correct this would be appreciated! (Or is it just Craigslist having a major problem since last night?)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM

5,603 posts, read 9,525,629 times
No idea, try using a different browser (I use Mozilla Firefox)

Old 02-19-2009, 10:59 AM

16,310 posts, read 14,774,445 times
clean out your cookies, or they are blocking your ip address.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 AM

Asheville Native, why would my IP address be blocked?
And how would I clean out those cookies? is that Deleting my Browsing History?

(I know it must be VERY obvious I'm not savvy about computers/internet at all!!)

Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 AM

57 posts, read 208,442 times
where are you trying to get in from? work? home? elsewhere? do you get this everytime you try get to the website? are you on a proxy? anything? any add. info?

HTTP 403 is mostly common when trying to access directory browsing and thus forbidden. websites are navigated through URL not the directory structure.

im able to access craigslist

Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 PM

I'm at home on my laptop. Just started getting the HTTP 403 message last night after easily accessing Craigslist.com earlier in the day. In fact, had not shut down computer, one hour I could get craigslist, the next hour, could not. And this was after having no problem getting onto Craigslist for months since buying this laptop end of December 08.

I've been using Cricket Broadband service all along & there's no problems at all accessing any other websites since last night. Someone else suggested deleting the cookies, so I tried that a while ago, shut down & started up again-- no solution, same HTTP 403 message. Time to call tech support & stay on hold for an hour?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 PM

never mind, i guess youve already answered most of the questions.

whats the browser youre using? seems like its a browser prob.....unless im missing something, i dont know much about Cricket except that it offers 3G
HTTP 403 can be many issues, usually it happens when the browser socket is unavailable or trying to access website directory.
it also is a common prob. in java coding

try to do this
Go to your internet options Internet Options --> Connections --> Lan Settings --> Uncheck Proxy Server

Old 02-19-2009, 12:51 PM

Thanks gresan1!!
You mentioned Java so I looked & didn't see it in my programs (maybe accidentally deleted it?) so went to website & downloaded it.

Now Craigslist.com works again!! Thanks for your help.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM

you still having probs? or was it just the java?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:16 PM

No further problems, getting Craigslist.com fine now.
All cleared up since I downloaded/installed Java. (Not sure why I didn't have Java already, might have accidentally deleted it, but not sure when that happened.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers