U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:47 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,629,010 times

Advertisements

I used to be able to "sign in" and check the little box so that this site would remember me--I never had to do the "sign in" thing again, unless I shut down the computer.
Now, even when I check the "remember me" box, I'm being forgotten!

Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,631,471 times
Do you have cookies turned off in your browser or have you changed your browser's security settings recently?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:16 PM

57 posts, read 322,147 times
if he had cookies off i dont think he would be able to login

op, are you are clearing your history everytime you exit the browser?
there are sites that will refresh (or automatically log you out) so depending on the site and how your browser is setup

Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,568,057 times
Does your browser accept cookies?

Make sure your browser does not delete your cookies. I run Firefox and if I click on Tools->Clear private data, then the cookies are gone.

What browser are you using?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,032 times
FireFox:

Tools>Options>Exceptions>Copypaste Url in space provided>Select "Allow"

IE:
Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites>Paste Url>Click "Allow"

Old 02-21-2009, 07:35 AM

40,185 posts, read 41,790,512 times
As already posted make sure you're not blocking cookies, if you have determined that thet you aren't blocking them delete your cookies as they sometimes get corrupted and setting a new one will fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresan1 View Post
if he had cookies off i dont think he would be able to login
Sites can do that with a session id, you might see something like this:

example.com/index.php?sid=n89twhg894hny4t7564y93yt54298t

The big long string of numbers is a session ID stored server side, as you move around the pages this session will remain active and in the URL for X amount of time. Usually like 5 minutes, once the time expires the session dies and you'll need to log back in.

Don't know if that is the case here but that is pretty common on most forum software. This way you can use a computer that does not belong to you such as one at a library without using the "Remember me" feature.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 AM

57 posts, read 322,147 times
coalman, youre absolutely right, i didnt even think about it, but youre right, session ids are very common

Old 02-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Wow! I have no idea if my server is accepting "cookies"---some of my other "regular" sites remember me, even after I turn off the computer...this is the only site I visit that I have to sign into EVERY time!
I'm a total computer idiot. How idiotic? I don't know what a "server" is!!! Explorer??? Mozilla???
I don't clear my history very often at all, and unless there's some sort of "security" thing running on my computer that clears stuff automatically...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,764,053 times
cb at sea ... don't feel like a computer idiot!! At one point in time every single one of us learned that a cookie is not just something purchased from Girl Scouts and a server is not just the restaurant person who brings your food.

My first question: are you the only user of your computer, or does someone else use it too? I ask because I run into sign-in problems on occasion and at first I thought it was a computer glitch. However, it turns out to be caused by my dear spouse who in some odd way clears out the cache of cookies along with the history and my google preferences. Thus, there are times when I click on City-Data (as well as other sites such as ancestry.com) and find I'm not signed in even though these sites are designated to remember me.

My second question: is your computer set to accept first and third party cookies? If you're using Internet Explorer as your web browser (which I suspect you are), go to the top toolbar and choose Tools, then Internet Options, then click on the Privacy tab. In the middle of that window, click on Advanced. In the two lists, which are probably grayed out, the radio button next to Accept under First-party and Third-party should be marked. Click OK and go back to the Privacy tab and click on Sites. In that new window, make certain there are no websites listed with Not Allowed or anything like that.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM

Ok--I just check and I accept first and third party cookies.
I am the only one on this computer, aside from hubby, who knows less than I do (is that possible???) and has no idea how to clear anything!!
Oh, well, at least I'm able to remember the password for this site! (I HATE all the passwords and junk!!!)
If anyone thinks of something else, I'm all ears! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or