U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times

Advertisements

Ccleaner will also overwrite the deleted files, which I like.

Options/Settings/Secure Deletion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Ccleaner will also overwrite the deleted files, which I like.

Options/Settings/Secure Deletion
Need based on one's level of paranoia.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:15 AM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Need based on one's level of paranoia.
Any laptop should be treated as a potential theft target and protected accordingly.

I have a password to enter my BIOS screen, another to boot, a third to open Windows, and a fourth on the Administrator account in case someone tries to get in through Safe Mode.

I clean my PC regularly using Ccleaner with overwriting every day.

"Loose lips sink ships" in this day and age translates to:

"Lose laptop data ripped off"

The same goes for a desktop. Not for me, thanks.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pont neuf View Post
I downloaded and ran CCLEANER and all it did was delete temporary internet files, etc. I delete that stuff every day, so it was totally useless to me. I know there are users who never have deleted any of that stuff ever, so it would definitely help them. There are probably some users that have never deleted the files in their JAVA cache and don't know how, so it would help them also.
I downloaded and ran GLARY Utilities. It said I had 1410 errors. I had to run it 3 times in a row before I got a clean scan. Here is the link. Click on the black download. If you click on the white download with the green background it will try to sell you REGCURE.
Glary Utilities
Both ccleaner and glary utilities seem to do the very same things - delete temporary files and repair registry errors. I'm not sure how one could be 'totally useless' while the other is worthwhile. I did notice that glary caught two errors that ccleaner did not, but I'm not sure how big of a difference this would make.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:30 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
One time I had gotten behind on my maintenance, especially with my wife's computer. CCleaner got rid of 208 megs of junk, at least five times normal. I could see the difference. But after that, I made a few adjustments to help keep the junk level down.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
All registry cleaners are what I would like to call fluffware.. they do nothing.. has anyone checked how big there registry is before and after a clean.. bet you it goes down like .1 MB

Back in the win95 days a registry was about 3 mb on a default win install.. throw in drivers normal use you might get up to 5-15 mb.. today win2k/xp starts about 18 mb I think and a average registry reaches as high as 50-75 mb.. does make me curious what my vista x64 laptop has.. 65.2 MB..

Anyway my point is I tried a registry cleaner in 1996 or so called norton doctor or something and I never looked back at fluffware products again..

Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
I was refraining from adding my comments as I really didn't feel like getting into an argument, but I'll side with themaster on this one, registry cleaners are snake oil, the novice should not be using them. I've had more than one customer in the shop with a non bootable computer after they decided to clean their registry, it's absolutely not required, I have XP boxes with installations that are 4 and 5 years old on them that run perfectly, never had a registry cleaning.
If you can go through each and every item that your cleaner finds, and determine if it is in fact safe to delete, then your pretty safe, if you just trust what the cleaner is telling you and let it willy nilly delete what it wants, it's may eventually bite you in the a$$.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 PM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I was refraining from adding my comments as I really didn't feel like getting into an argument, but I'll side with themaster on this one, registry cleaners are snake oil, the novice should not be using them. I've had more than one customer in the shop with a non bootable computer after they decided to clean their registry, it's absolutely not required, I have XP boxes with installations that are 4 and 5 years old on them that run perfectly, never had a registry cleaning.
If you can go through each and every item that your cleaner finds, and determine if it is in fact safe to delete, then your pretty safe, if you just trust what the cleaner is telling you and let it willy nilly delete what it wants, it's may eventually bite you in the a$$.
Agree.
People shouldn't be messing in the registry, or the bios if they don't know what they are doing.

I'm also not nuts about programs like CC Cleaner for people who have no clue what they are doing.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
I hadn't used a registry cleaner in years. Actually not at all. But the first time I ran it, it made the machine faster.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
While speed is subjective to the user.. I have to guess these are the same kind of tweaks you can do from any basic guide or not even as good as..

Here is one such guide..
TweakHound - Tweak & Optimize Windows Vista
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or