U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times

Advertisements

Registry cleaners absolutely ARE NOT fluffware or useless. Some of them do in fact reduce the size of the registry. I've seen 20% improvement on several occasions. They also make it possible to find trace entries of programs that have been removed with a LOT less effort than doing it with RegEdit. Some of them make it a relatively easy job to move all registry references to a program that would not uninstall correctly or that does not have an uninstaller or a listing in Add/Remove programs. Working on the registry obviously needs to be done carefully, but it is an unsupportable claim that these tools are all useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Registry cleaners absolutely ARE NOT fluffware or useless. Some of them do in fact reduce the size of the registry. I've seen 20% improvement on several occasions. They also make it possible to find trace entries of programs that have been removed with a LOT less effort than doing it with RegEdit. Some of them make it a relatively easy job to move all registry references to a program that would not uninstall correctly or that does not have an uninstaller or a listing in Add/Remove programs. Working on the registry obviously needs to be done carefully, but it is an unsupportable claim that these tools are all useless.
Unsupportable claim? It's no more unsupportable than the claim that it is beneficial. There is just as much support for not using reigistry cleaners as there is for using them, for every link you provide that says they work, I can provide another that claims they don't(http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html). Your post is opinion, just like mine. By the way, I'm curious as to how you measured this "20% improvement".

Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
..... I'm curious as to how you measured this "20% improvement".
Simply by the size of the registry.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Simply by the size of the registry.
Oops, thought you meant 20% improvement in performance.
Personally I would not equate a 20% reduction in registry size to an improvement, yes it's smaller, that doesn't necessarily mean it's improved. What performance gains were seen?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
I think the point they are trying to make is that it's like giving dynamite to a kid when used by your average computer user. They may or may not blow their hands off. As far as the registry goes if it "ain't" broke don't fix it. Most people that are quite familiar with how Windows operates wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole unless they have too so why should someone that has no clue? If you know what you're doing so be it but most people have no idea what they are getting themselves into.

As far as deleting temporary internet files other than a security measure to prevent someone from easily snooping you're not going to see any performance increase and could slow things down especially if you're still on dial-up or slower DSL connection. Temporary internet files are files you downloaded from pages, for example the header image on this forum. Having it cached prevents you from having to download it again. Another point to make is some ISP's are instituting bandwidth caps so if you're in that boat and approaching your limit temp files will help. Note that simply deleting them isn't exactly a security measure either as there is many programs available to locate deleted files. They are not truly deleted until overwritten by other data.

To answer the original question to truly speed things up you need to stop uneeded start up programs and windows services from running.

Quote:
I have a password to enter my BIOS screen, another to boot, a third to open Windows, and a fourth on the Administrator account in case someone tries to get in through Safe Mode.
Remove mobo battery, insert mobo battery, (there's other methods to defeat that password such as master passwords or a simple switch) Boot Knoppix... Defeated.

If you want to protect your data on a PC the only way to do it is by encrypting it. There's plenty of tools available for that. The most common need of course would be for passwords especially to keep track of all these encrypted files, for that you could use Keepass .

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-02-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,619,219 times
My personal Vista 'tweaks' that significantly improved performance:

1. I disabled Toshiba FlashCards from running on startup. This disabled the FN-key shortcuts, but since I never used those anyway I'm not missing anything there. All of them are available using other commands, anyway. And FlashCards seemed to hang quite a bit and slow down overall performance. EDIT: it did not disable the FN-key functions, as I thought it would. Those still work fine. All that this did was disable the drop-down 'quickstart' menu for various Toshiba programs that I never used much anyway.

2. I went to Performance Options through Control Panel, and deselected all options except for font smoothing. No Windows Aero, no animations within windows, no thumbnails in Explorer (that's kind of a pain, actually). Now my Vista looks like XP and runs faster and more smoothly.

3. Before doing any of the above, I disabled Windows Sidebar, which was providing me with useless notifications, etc. I never used it so I don't miss it a bit.

Last edited by Naptowner; 03-02-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,542,542 times
Three pages and no one's recommended msconfig!!!

Click start/run/type: msconfig in the open field of the run dialogue box, then click okay. System Configure Utility opens. Now click the start tab.

UNCHECK all the annoying crap software which has added itself to the startup process. Especially toolbars and download managers. All this junk starts on bootup. You really only need core .exe's to launch on startup.

It's a good idea to take a screen shot of the startup tab after reformating and reinstalling the OS. Gives you a good idea of what needs to be running. You can always cross-reference the .exe's on google and see if they are crucial to the XP operating system.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Oops, thought you meant 20% improvement in performance.
Personally I would not equate a 20% reduction in registry size to an improvement, yes it's smaller, that doesn't necessarily mean it's improved. What performance gains were seen?
There are also registry defraggers which, if coupled with the cleaner might make a noticeable difference. I'd agree that there's no way to predict what the difference would make.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:40 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Yes, using the right defragger may help with performance in theory.. I have no experience with this.. I just use windows.. which 99% of the time will say you don't need defrag, this is a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy..

So I downloaded the recommended app.. my registry was 65.5 mb before the scan.. after the scan and removal of 168 entries.. my registry was 65.5 mb based on this alone.. it's not surprising.. I surmise to get the registry down say 20% it would likely need to take out 20,000 entries minimum..

I have screenshots to prove this if you want.. ?

Anyway.. as suggested above following a speed tweak guide or removing unnecessary background progams via msconfig is far better.. I have nice guide for this buried in the last miss-information thread about speed tweaking..

I return to my original opinion on most fear products and pcfixit crap.. their all fluffware.. unnecessary, unneeded and a waste of a person's time but if you wish go there.. go.. I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find something okay.. understand that I don't see much difference between what fluffware registry products do and what current malware does that fakes that it's helping you.. products such as "antivirus 360" or "xpantivirus" to name a few..

Also understand again that only the person using the computer can really determine it’s speed up.. (ohh.. that clicks faster etc.) these days computers are generally so fast that I think in a blind test a user couldn’t tell the difference between a 2 year old one and today’s latest one..

Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,576,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Any laptop should be treated as a potential theft target and protected accordingly.

I have a password to enter my BIOS screen, another to boot, a third to open Windows, and a fourth on the Administrator account in case someone tries to get in through Safe Mode.

I clean my PC regularly using Ccleaner with overwriting every day.

"Loose lips sink ships" in this day and age translates to:

"Lose laptop data ripped off"

The same goes for a desktop. Not for me, thanks.
You running encryption as well on sensitive data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or