U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 AM

28,395 posts, read 48,154,368 times

Advertisements

SEATTLE - Stolen laptop? Now you can tell those thieves exactly what you think of them.

Front Door Software Corp.'s Retriever program displays your contact information as your computer boots up.

Stop thief! Software lets stolen laptops speak up - Security- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
You can make a "poor mans version" of this if you have your own server and have a little bit of programming knowledge. What you'll do is set the browsers homepage to a page on your site e.g. example.com/my_IP_sniffer_page.php When the browser is opened it will go to this page and you can record the IP. Use a redirect to Google or something so they never see the original, simple and effective. Certainly isn't going to work in all cases especially if they wipe the drive or something but it's better than nothing.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:52 PM

4,592 posts, read 8,195,924 times
The problem with these "applications" (the other is LoJack for laptops) is that they're applications. Meaning its installed on the OS. So anyone who stole the laptop for the hardware itself and has any common sense would simply wipe the entire drive (as indicated by thecoalman), and thereby wiping out said program. Or simply boot them with a thumb drive ...

In most cases though (especially with enterprises), the more valuable asset is the data residing on the laptop, not the hardware. So whole disk encryption would be more important than laptop retrieval software... assuming having both would be cost prohibitive.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
There's one system I came across and I forget the specifics but it worked at the BIOS level and may even have been hardware installed on specific MOBO's. It would do the phone home thing and if reported stolen would erase/encrypt the drives and lock them out.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 AM

4,592 posts, read 8,195,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There's one system I came across and I forget the specifics but it worked at the BIOS level and may even have been hardware installed on specific MOBO's. It would do the phone home thing and if reported stolen would erase/encrypt the drives and lock them out.
Yup - Absolute's Computrace service.... they're probably others too....

Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
I'd bet most thieves don't care what's on the puter, they just want a quick buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or