U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times

Advertisements

I'll second the Altec Lansing and also recommend some I have right now. Harmon/Kardon HK206.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 AM

956 posts, read 3,631,729 times
I have Boston Acoustics from an older computer - 2 speakers and subwoofer. I like the quality so much I took them to work and replaced the speakers on the new computer I have there. I always have an internet radio station playing when I'm in the office. The volume and sound I can get from these is amazing.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:38 PM

26 posts, read 70,141 times
I like the M-Audio AV40 they run about $150.00.
M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Separate Speaker reviews - CNET Reviews

These are pretty good speakers. I have heard them but have not yet bought a pair. The only downside i see is that they are kinda big if you are going to be moving them around with your laptop. If you are leaving them on a desk or shelf i think they would be fine. They do make slightly smaller less expensive speakers, AV20 and AV30 but i would stick with the AV40.

Having sold PC's and parts back in the 90's i can say that the altec lansing speakers used to be pretty good. Upon researching a new set of speakers for my own PC i think altec lansing quality has dropped off drastically. I am also not a big fan of Bose. Having used their commerical speakers i can say there are much better out there. I do not get why companies install bose speakers. I think you can do much better for the price.

I would check out cnet reviews or go to website that sells PC parts and take a look at the reviews that people have left for various speakers you are interested in.

Separate Speakers - CNET Reviews

What ever speakers you do decide on let us know. It may help someone else decide.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,588,571 times
If you want speakers good for music, then you should consider normal speakers for home audio. The computer speaker systems almost always need a subwoofer, otherwise they don't sound that good. You can have normal speaker with or without a subwoofer. Of course the wiring gets more complicated, but you get to hear the music much better than tiny little speakers. So it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much space you have. I actually used to use nice bookshelf speakers I bought used with a small amplifier/receiver.

Powered studio monitor speakers are also another option. They are the speakers that are used in recording studios to monitor and playback the mix, so they are in fact the same sound as what people working on the music will hear.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 AM

82 posts, read 238,468 times
Wanna spend some cash:
Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System : $360.00

Wanna get a good set, with a little less expense:
BoseCompanion 3 Series II Multimedia Speaker System : $240.00

Surround Sound speakers:
Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speaker System : $200.00

Old 03-10-2009, 09:57 PM

72 posts, read 197,682 times
Whats your budget? High end audio can get expensive fast...
Mp3s are ok if high VBR. In order to get the best sound you need a good source; a good sound card (creative x-fi music) and high quality music file (apple loseless, FLAC, CD, etc).

For speakers- Bose Companion is good but overpriced. Klipsch Promedia is the better buy but a bit dated. I recommend the discontinued Klipsch Ifi if you can find one...simply amazing! If you want best desktop speakers Dynaudio - Authentic Fidelity (http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/multimedia/index.php - broken link) get the Dynaudio MC15 with subwoofer. The real deal!

Last edited by kenk; 03-10-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 AM

147 posts, read 481,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk View Post
Whats your budget? High end audio can get expensive fast...
Mp3s are ok if high VBR. In order to get the best sound you need a good source; a good sound card (creative x-fi music) and high quality music file (apple loseless, FLAC, CD, etc).

For speakers- Bose Companion is good but overpriced. Klipsch Promedia is the better buy but a bit dated. I recommend the discontinued Klipsch Ifi if you can find one...simply amazing! If you want best desktop speakers Dynaudio - Authentic Fidelity (http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/multimedia/index.php - broken link) get the Dynaudio MC15 with subwoofer. The real deal!
I dont really want to spend more than $250 - and after all, I only have a laptop (although I's like the speakers to outlive it of course!)

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 AM

72 posts, read 197,682 times
I forgot to add that headphones are a better solution. They are more cost effective, save space, no set up, save electricity, and give better sound for the money . Only $50 for a good set.

Only downside is cords (unless new bluetooth sets), can't "feel" the music , and it may get uncomfortable on your head .

Old 03-13-2009, 06:43 AM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
We actually did research on the wireless headsets.
The reviews weren't good which was why we bought the one I linked it.
It's actually certified by Dolby.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
For $50.00 you can buy the Logitech 2.1 system and you will be able to 'feel the music'. Unless you are made of wood or stone you will get ear fatigue after an hour or two of headphone listening. It is simply not neccessary to spend hundreds of dollars to get listenable computer speakers. I do have a quality pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers in my living room. The ~$39.00 Altec Lansing 2.1 I mentioned earlier do not sound worse than my $300 bookshelf speakers. Even with the subwoofer included the entire Altec system does not occupy as much space as just one of the Klipsch bookshelf speakers. For late night listening a set of Koss headphones (the full surround type) ~$20.00 make a nice addition, even a ~ $9.99 set can suffice for the occasional listen but cannot IMO fully replace speakers.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or