U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:19 AM

147 posts, read 481,039 times

Advertisements

I've been researching this for about 2 yrs now but the technology changes so fast I've gotten lost. Now my research invariably leads me to reviews of computer speakers that are good for TV and video games. I DONT care about that stuff! I want computer speakers for MUSIC. MP3s sound awful, yes, but what does the best job making them sound better? I have to stop buying vinyl

I was leaning towards Bose out of brand-loyalty but I realize brand-loyalty is just successful zombiefication. Anyone have any experience with such a situation?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:01 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
What hardware are you playing your MP3's on? Any decent 3 speaker setup should sound pretty good. I was using Microsoft's USB speaker/subwoofer for the last 4 or 5 years and it sounded great, just recently upgraded to a Logitec 5.1 setup. Granted I'm by no means an audiophile, but it would play alot louder than I wanted without diftortion, had great bass too.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
What hardware are you playing your MP3's on? Any decent 3 speaker setup should sound pretty good. I was using Microsoft's USB speaker/subwoofer for the last 4 or 5 years and it sounded great, just recently upgraded to a Logitec 5.1 setup. Granted I'm by no means an audiophile, but it would play alot louder than I wanted without diftortion, had great bass too.
I just have a little laptop, but I have sooooooooooooooooooo much music. (In all formats too!)

Old 03-01-2009, 02:16 PM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Bose is probably overkill with a laptop. Not knowing specs it's hard to say.

I bought Logitech speakers from Office Max for $40 on sale - they sound really good. My daughter (15) is happy with them, she doesn't even use her stereo any more. If you want the model number let me know

Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
My GF has a 2.1 set by Altec Lansing. I just went behind the computer desk to find the model number for you. It is AVS300. We have been enjoying these speakers for years so I doubt you can find them anywhere except used. They flat out rock. Or Classical or Jazz for that matter. Mp3's need not sound terrible just as CD's didn't neccessarily sound worse than vinyl. Some you tube video's are unwatchable while some are near broadcast quality. It all has to do with the bit rate used to encode the original file and also how many times it has been kicked back and forth and encoded and reencoded. I agree with the earlier poster that Logitech makes some fine 2.1 systems. For music I think you can't go wrong if the subwoofer is at least the size of the Altec-Lansing or Logitech subwoofers, roughly 14"h x 8"W x 8"D. If I were buying a speaker system for music on a PC it would be the Logitech system.

H

Old 03-01-2009, 03:47 PM

985 posts, read 2,374,262 times
I second the Altec Lansing speakers, they are great! I don't even bother with my stereo since I got them.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Bose is probably overkill with a laptop. Not knowing specs it's hard to say.

I bought Logitech speakers from Office Max for $40 on sale - they sound really good. My daughter (15) is happy with them, she doesn't even use her stereo any more. If you want the model number let me know
Probably no sub woofer though right?

Old 03-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My GF has a 2.1 set by Altec Lansing. I just went behind the computer desk to find the model number for you. It is AVS300. We have been enjoying these speakers for years so I doubt you can find them anywhere except used. They flat out rock. Or Classical or Jazz for that matter. Mp3's need not sound terrible just as CD's didn't neccessarily sound worse than vinyl. Some you tube video's are unwatchable while some are near broadcast quality. It all has to do with the bit rate used to encode the original file and also how many times it has been kicked back and forth and encoded and reencoded. I agree with the earlier poster that Logitech makes some fine 2.1 systems. For music I think you can't go wrong if the subwoofer is at least the size of the Altec-Lansing or Logitech subwoofers, roughly 14"h x 8"W x 8"D. If I were buying a speaker system for music on a PC it would be the Logitech system.

H
I'll try and find them. There was a listing for them I found using Froogle, but it said Etronics had them and that company never has anything in stock. And after digging some more, cant seem to find 'em. Might have to go w the LogiT then... Thanks for the info!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 PM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3ronika View Post
Probably no sub woofer though right?
Logitech X-240

If you are looking for a headset - we bought these for our 2 boys for Christmas - awesome sound! TRITTON AX360 Coaxial & Fiber Optic Circumaural True 5.1 Digital Audio Gaming Headset

They work with everything, computer & Xbox

Newegg Altec search

Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 PM

573 posts, read 616,814 times
Swan M200MkII
Swan D1080MkII
Swan M12 (more bass for gaming than accurate music compared to M10?)

The Audio Insider » AnandTech highlights the Swan M10 and D1080MkII.

Newegg.com - HiVi Swans M10 2.1 Multimedia Speaker - Speakers
Newegg.com - Swans M200 2CH Hi-end Multimedia Speaker Pair

http://diy.pconline.com.cn/vocality/...1/1218249.html
http://yinxiang.xiugo.com/yinxiang/h...iwei39382.html

Last edited by Tennis702; 03-01-2009 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or