U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,434,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
When you get the error is it before the Windows splash screen?
Yes

Quote:
IE error pops up on black screen with white letters and you have to hit a key to cintinue, then Windows loads?
Yeah, that's it.

Quote:
If so it's a hardware problem and not related to Windows at all.
I really don't think anything is actually wrong w/the adapter though b/c it's charging just fine. It just won't allow me to place it on "stand by."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
I would guess there IS something wrong with the adapter, it has stopped communicating properly with the BIOS. I'd contact Dell support, they will be able to give you a definite answer as to the cause, maybe it just needs a BIOS flash, definetly something that needs to be fixed before selling.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
I agree with those who think that in the re-install of the OS a critical power management applet either got lost or is improperly configured. Perhaps the downloaded power management software is not the correct version for your exact model of laptop. You really should be contacting Dell about this as the previous poster said. This kind of thing is very common. Modern PC's and Laptop's are very fussy about their configurations. It doesn't surprise me that it isn't working exactly as before after major OS surgery. What does surprise me is that this might be perceived as a hardware issue.

H

Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,434,759 times
I don't think Dell will deal with me b/c my warranty expired back in 2005 or 2006. I'll DL the BIOs driver and see if that helps.

Thanks for the resonses so far. Keep them coming.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I don't think Dell will deal with me b/c my warranty expired back in 2005 or 2006. I'll DL the BIOs driver and see if that helps.

Thanks for the resonses so far. Keep them coming.
I don't think they'll give you a problem just asking a question, doesn't hurt to try.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I agree with those who think that in the re-install of the OS a critical power management applet either got lost or is improperly configured. Perhaps the downloaded power management software is not the correct version for your exact model of laptop. You really should be contacting Dell about this as the previous poster said. This kind of thing is very common. Modern PC's and Laptop's are very fussy about their configurations. It doesn't surprise me that it isn't working exactly as before after major OS surgery. What does surprise me is that this might be perceived as a hardware issue.

H
I don't see what that surprises you, it is the BIOS that is generating the error, So it's obviously not a Windows driver issue. I've seen the same problem a few times in my shop, customer brings in a Dell laptop for work, forgets their AC adapter, I use the one I have, and it gives me the exact same problem, once they get it back it works fine with the OEM adapter... hardware (or BIOS) issue.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I've seen the same problem a few times in my shop, customer brings in a Dell laptop for work, forgets their AC adapter, I use the one I have, and it gives me the exact same problem, once they get it back it works fine with the OEM adapter... hardware (or BIOS) issue.
Fine, I accept that it is now a hardware issue but unless the o.p. has left out the fact that they performed BIOS alterations then clearly some software on the machine was capable of making sure that the AC adapter was seen properly by the hardware as well as the power management software. Seems to me that going to hardware directly and fixing the problem does not address the fact that some upper level functionality that existed before is now lost.

H

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,264,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Dell Inspiron 600m, circa 2005.
I'm on a 600m and looking in device manager the first device is Batteries
withing that are;
> Microsoft AC Adapter
> Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
> Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery (listed twice)

If I view the properties of any of them, then the driver detail button it lists the files;
C:\windows\system32\drivers\battc.sys
C:\windows\system32\drivers\CmBatt.sys

Provider is Microsoft, copyright is microsoft, file version 5.1.2600.5512

I have reinstalled Windows on this laptop after the original HD failed. I installed XP Pro after replacing the HD. I installed from a CD I had slipstreamed to SP2 level. I downloaded the rest of the drivers from Dell to get the latest version, including the Quickset which provides the battery status icon in the system tray.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 AM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Mike,

If you go into BIOS you should see, on the right side of the main menu, two listings: Default Settings and Optimal Settings, or something similar.

Try loading each of these then save and restart. If the problem resides in BIOS the setting for an adapter should be allowed for in one or both of these.

A way to test for hardware/software issues is to start pressing function key F8 at start up. Press it about once a second. If you see the error first it's hardware. If you see the start up menu with choices of Safe Mode, Normal, etc. It's likely software.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mike,

If you go into BIOS you should see, on the right side of the main menu, two listings: Default Settings and Optimal Settings, or something similar.

Try loading each of these then save and restart. If the problem resides in BIOS the setting for an adapter should be allowed for in one or both of these.

A way to test for hardware/software issues is to start pressing function key F8 at start up. Press it about once a second. If you see the error first it's hardware. If you see the start up menu with choices of Safe Mode, Normal, etc. It's likely software.
Tek, we've already determined the error message occurs before Windows loads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers