U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,805,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mike,

If you go into BIOS you should see, on the right side of the main menu, two listings: Default Settings and Optimal Settings, or something similar.

Try loading each of these then save and restart. If the problem resides in BIOS the setting for an adapter should be allowed for in one or both of these.

A way to test for hardware/software issues is to start pressing function key F8 at start up. Press it about once a second. If you see the error first it's hardware. If you see the start up menu with choices of Safe Mode, Normal, etc. It's likely software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Tek, we've already determined the error message occurs before Windows loads.

I have this issue with one of my Dells too - it's definitely NOT a Win XP problem. In my case, the adapter is causing the error msg (switching adapters worked during troubleshooting) but still allows charging and stand by to function normally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,434,759 times
Hey guys,

Installed all the drivers that are recommended from the Dell support page and that fixed the "stand by" issue. Everything is good to go now.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Hey guys,

Installed all the drivers that are recommended from the Dell support page and that fixed the "stand by" issue. Everything is good to go now.

Thanks for the help.
Thank you for coming back and letting us know what fixed the problem. That doesn't happen nearly often enough in this forum to suit me.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,434,759 times
No problem!

On the support website they list the essential drivers and what order they should be installed in. I'm not sure which one did the trick - I just DL'd all of them then restarted the computer.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 AM

6 posts, read 11,857 times
It's the motherboard. The center pin on the AC adapter is a sensing pin telling the mb what adapter you have. The circuitry on the mb is fried and doesn't recognize this center sensing pin so it thinks you have an incorrect adapter thus: AC adapter is not recognized. It's an expensive fix as it requires a new mb.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrank444 View Post
It's the motherboard. The center pin on the AC adapter is a sensing pin telling the mb what adapter you have. The circuitry on the mb is fried and doesn't recognize this center sensing pin so it thinks you have an incorrect adapter thus: AC adapter is not recognized. It's an expensive fix as it requires a new mb.
Ummmm, the issue has already been resolved, almost 3 months ago in fact.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 AM

Post #22 on March 10. It is resolved. It was not the motherboard. It was not expensive to fix.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM

What was the resolution??
Hundreds of people are reporting that they needed a new motherboard. It is not the connector on the MB nor is it usually the AC adapter.
If there is an easy fix tell me so I can fix mine.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:07 PM

See post #22. The OP installed drivers recommended by Dell. However, it is true that there have been many problems with power connectors and motherboards that would not charge batteries. The issue THIS time has been resolved.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Right, so the issue is not resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers