U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Blackwater Park
1,715 posts, read 6,285,686 times
Reputation: 561

Advertisements

HELP!!!

I'm selling my laptop and have a few buyers, but I'm having an issue w/the battery/AC adapter.

When I erased the HDD and reinstalled Windows I got an error message about not recognizing the AC Adapter. Yet, it's charging. The problem is that it won't allow me to put it on "Stand By."

Does anyone know how I might can fix this? It's a new problem. I've never had any issue with the battery or AC adapter. I surmise that I might need the original Dell install disk that might have a driver. Of course I don't have that though.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
 
5,532 posts, read 5,714,122 times
Reputation: 3146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
HELP!!!

I'm selling my laptop and have a few buyers, but I'm having an issue w/the battery/AC adapter.

When I erased the HDD and reinstalled Windows I got an error message about not recognizing the AC Adapter. Yet, it's charging. The problem is that it won't allow me to put it on "Stand By."

Does anyone know how I might can fix this? It's a new problem. I've never had any issue with the battery or AC adapter. I surmise that I might need the original Dell install disk that might have a driver. Of course I don't have that though.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
What Win did you reinstall? The Dell comes with a rescue disk, but that is not a full Windows install. Also, you HDD was probably partitioned originally. What happened with the second part?
Dell has a support section on their website where your question might be answered. There are also many support boards on the internet. Here is one I sometimes use:
Laptop Support - Tech Support Forum (http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/laptop-support/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Reputation: 8261
You can download any drivers for Dell laptops directly from dell.com. If you search based on they service tag which can be found on the bottom of the laptop, it will help narrow you search down, but you can also search by model number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Blackwater Park
1,715 posts, read 6,285,686 times
Reputation: 561
I've looked at the driver updates but can't figure out which one relates to the AC adapter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Reputation: 8261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I've looked at the driver updates but can't figure out which one relates to the AC adapter.
Look under applications for Quickset, this is the program that is the interface to power settings on Dell Laptops. I guess it really isn't a driver (as the AC adapter doesn't show in the device manager) but just a program that monitors battery status and allows quick setting of power management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 AM
 
10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times
Reputation: 10116
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
What Win did you reinstall? The Dell comes with a rescue disk, but that is not a full Windows install. Also, you HDD was probably partitioned originally. What happened with the second part?
Dell has a support section on their website where your question might be answered. There are also many support boards on the internet. Here is one I sometimes use:
Laptop Support - Tech Support Forum (http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/laptop-support/ - broken link)
What are you talking about? Dells ship with probably the best reinstall set of all OEM's, and it is in fact a "full" install (I don't see how you can do a partial Windows install). Hard drive partitons would not affect the power adapter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 AM
 
10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times
Reputation: 10116
Mike, what is the model of the laptop? Is this the power supply it shipped with? I have done reloads on a ton of Dell's and have never had to install anything special as far as power drivers. Dell's power bricks have 2 way communication with the laptop, if the BIOS can't communicate with the power supply or it doesn't recognize it you'll have the problem your seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Blackwater Park
1,715 posts, read 6,285,686 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Look under applications for Quickset, this is the program that is the interface to power settings on Dell Laptops. I guess it really isn't a driver (as the AC adapter doesn't show in the device manager) but just a program that monitors battery status and allows quick setting of power management.
Will try and report back this afternoon. Thanks either way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
What Win did you reinstall?
Windows XP Professional, which is the [i]only[i] thing on the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Mike, what is the model of the laptop?
Dell Inspiron 600m, circa 2005.

Quote:
Is this the power supply it shipped with?
Yeah, everything came with it. I've never had an adapter or battery issue until I erased the HDD and reinstalled the OS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Blackwater Park
1,715 posts, read 6,285,686 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Look under applications for Quickset, this is the program that is the interface to power settings on Dell Laptops. I guess it really isn't a driver (as the AC adapter doesn't show in the device manager) but just a program that monitors battery status and allows quick setting of power management.
I DL'd this app and it still won't allow me to put it on "stand by." That's my only issue at this point. It charges fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
 
10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times
Reputation: 10116
When you get the error is it before the Windows splash screen? IE error pops up on black screen with white letters and you have to hit a key to cintinue, then Windows loads? If so it's a hardware problem and not related to Windows at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top