U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
 
438 posts, read 729,007 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

Also look into Komodo, a free firewall. I also use Spybot, AVG rootkit detector, and SuperAntiSpyWare. Overkill?.....maybe? But it never hurts to have these to keep your computer safe as long as you do not run them simultaneously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM
 
28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Reputation: 37291
We can help with uninstall/reinstall and cleaning off bloatware. You'll need some patience, and if you are somewhat computer illiterate prepare to learn some new things.

I am sick as a dog and not stopping by very often, but there are plenty of other very knowledgeable people here that can get you through this. With the money you don't spend on a tech you can take someone out to dinner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Reputation: 1632
Default Flu?

I had some stuff I inhaled (Relenza) that helped to kill the virus, thereby shortening sicktime -- only good for influenza A & B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Buffalo :-)
2,972 posts, read 7,522,563 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We can help with uninstall/reinstall and cleaning off bloatware. You'll need some patience, and if you are somewhat computer illiterate prepare to learn some new things.

I am sick as a dog and not stopping by very often, but there are plenty of other very knowledgeable people here that can get you through this. With the money you don't spend on a tech you can take someone out to dinner!
I hope you're feeling better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Boston
905 posts, read 2,163,399 times
Reputation: 461
It's mostly on the user though to whether or not you get viruses. Something like AVG with a spyware remover should be fine IMO. Just run Firefox with Noscript and Adblock Plus and you will be fine. I have no anti virus and 1 spyware remover I never use.

Also if you just got it...PLEASE do a reformat of your comp. The amount of adware and other crap those companies install on the PC can slow it down by up to 25% before it was ever connected to the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 AM
 
10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Also if you just got it...PLEASE do a reformat of your comp. The amount of adware and other crap those companies install on the PC can slow it down by up to 25% before it was ever connected to the net.
The only option the OP has is using the HP recovery, which will reinstall all the bloatware, so there's really no point in a reinstallation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 AM
 
1 posts, read 918 times
Reputation: 10
Default Norton Beat McAfee Handa Down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Agree!Norton was somehow blocking my MSN messenger and Skype.
It would also pop up every 10 mins and kick me off a online game to ask..
If it was ok to run a program(always legit programs,files).
--------
I have used McAfee and Norton and there is really no comparison ... I first had McAfee and it was doing a job to my email - Didn't like it much ... Switched to Norton years ago until it became too expensive [I thought] ... Used 'free' AVG for about a year and was scared of its free status and overall reliability... Oh, yes, I could have bought AVG Plus ... Been using Norton ever since and we love it on all of our Laptops and PCs ... Norton is easy to use, have no issues with it, completely reliable ... Yes, it does take up space on the HD, but isn't internet security worth it? ... 'FREE' is 'free' but does it really do the complete job? ... No program is completely secure I realize, but isn't a BMG better than a Volkswagon ... I think so!@@! I know so@!! ... I bought a Norton bundle for all my computers and WILL renew it for many years ... People have preferences I know, BUT get rid of some of your toys around the house and buy Norton!!! ... You have to!@!
rroidsgj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Reputation: 7698
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroidsgj View Post
--------
I have used McAfee and Norton and there is really no comparison ... I first had McAfee and it was doing a job to my email - Didn't like it much ... Switched to Norton years ago until it became too expensive [I thought] ... Used 'free' AVG for about a year and was scared of its free status and overall reliability... Oh, yes, I could have bought AVG Plus ... Been using Norton ever since and we love it on all of our Laptops and PCs ... Norton is easy to use, have no issues with it, completely reliable ... Yes, it does take up space on the HD, but isn't internet security worth it? ... 'FREE' is 'free' but does it really do the complete job? ... No program is completely secure I realize, but isn't a BMG better than a Volkswagon ... I think so!@@! I know so@!! ... I bought a Norton bundle for all my computers and WILL renew it for many years ... People have preferences I know, BUT get rid of some of your toys around the house and buy Norton!!! ... You have to!@!
rroidsgj
That's ridiculous! You come in here and make your first post an assertion that AVG Free is no good because it is free and suggesting that everyone buy Norton because you like it. Totally unfounded.

A check at the AVG web site will show the differences between their free product and their expensive product. There are several free virus protection solutions. If you look around this forum, you can find the recommendations. Just a few posts above, there was a description of the type of issue some people have had with Norton.

(I think the car is a BMW. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 AM
 
7,376 posts, read 13,033,199 times
Reputation: 6974
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Thank you all for the replies. Should I take it to a tech guy for all that's needed?
No. Takes 20 minutes to install everything you need.

Download AVG free or Microsofts free ant virus. Download malwareybytes
Download zone alarm for a firewall or use miscrosofts built in firewall. Set your browser to block 3rd party applications/cookies. You are basically done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 AM
 
28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Reputation: 37291
Sure, I'll reply to a one year old thread. Talk about dredging up the dead...

I'm still using Norton 2010 Internet Security and still having no problems (except for Dentrix software) and it doesn't pop-up unless it is letting you know of potential problems (you do want to know, right?). It's not usiing much in the way of resources. It's now on 5 of my computers and probably 15 clients. I still recommend it. I am always amazed when I read posts about how terrible this software is. What is it that users do to make it run so poorly?

I have removed AVG free from all client computers. I don't know why, but the number of pop ups and nags were becoming obnoxious and clients were complaining about it. The program was still doing a great job, but harassing people is no way to keep them using your program. I replaced it with NIS and the phone has stopped ringing.

I have tried Avast and it does an excellent job.

Trend Micro is banned from any and all computers I maintain. I don't know what they did to that product last year, but it was a bad decision.

ZoneAlarm Internet Security (purchased, not free) no longer resides on any of my computers. It did a good job, but consistently forced me to renew one to three months ahead of the expiration date. Their customer service department was not very user friendly so it went away, never to return.

I am still a fan of free software. If it's free and does a good job there is no reason not to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top