U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 PM

3,624 posts, read 2,579,545 times
Default Outlook 2003

I have Outlook 2003 installed on my PC and am trying to import Outlook Express files (dbx) from a backup CD.
Using the file/import and export menu, I can see two possible options - "Import from another program or file" ; and "Import internet mail and addresses". In neither case, the import/export wizard asks me to browse for the relevant folder and consequently it's not picking up the messages.
My other question is why do I have to import the whole file? Is there an option to backup and later import individual selected messages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,912,448 times
I don't believe you can import specific messages. Once you point the importer to your Outlook Express data folder, it will list the mail folders it contains and will let you import all of them or just one. Also, I believe a CD being read-only will cause trouble for the importer. Copy your files to a folder on the desktop before importing. If you can't get Outlook to import the messages directly, import them into the Outlook Express or Windows Mail on that PC first, then let Outlook import from there.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 AM

18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
I agree with escape. You should see a screen with choices during the process. An option, if you don't want all folders, is to remove those dbx files representing those folders from the location where they are stored.

If you look at your back up folder you should see files named inbox, draft items, sent mail, etc. If there are any of these folders you do not want, don't copy them to your PC when you do the import. On the other hand, you can import everything then delete anything you don't want to keep, which is what I like to do.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Thanks, you are probably both correct. However, I still don't have the option to browse for the folders I want to import, even after I copied them from the backup CD to my computer. Should I copy them to a specific location?
On a side note, why MS selected this cumbersome process? Did they consider which way their users life will be most miserable?

Last edited by oberon_1; 03-05-2009 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM

18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
Is Outlook Express installed on this computer?

If it is open the program (OE) and go to Tools/Options/Maintenance tab

In the lower right corner click on Store Folder

Record the location shown and copy the files to it

-or-

Change the location to the Desktop where you already have the files copied from the previous post.

Outlook should find that OE is installed and ask if you want to import from it.

Click through these menu items/screens

File/Import/Import from another program or file\Outlook Express.....

The next screen should should Outlook Express as found. From there click Next it will ask if you want to import.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:50 PM

6,169 posts, read 4,698,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
..... On a side note, why MS selected this cumbersome process? Did they consider which way their users life will be most miserable?
I think it has always been that way in Redmond.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Is Outlook Express installed on this computer?

If it is open the program (OE) and go to Tools/Options/Maintenance tab

In the lower right corner click on Store Folder

Record the location shown and copy the files to it

-or-

Change the location to the Desktop where you already have the files copied from the previous post.

Outlook should find that OE is installed and ask if you want to import from it.
That's exactly the problem. It detects OE and imports automatically from there (the storage) instead from the backup files on the desktop. That is probably the outlook default. However, it does not ask any questions...
Quote:
Click through these menu items/screens

File/Import/Import from another program or file\Outlook Express.....

The next screen should should Outlook Express as found. From there click Next it will ask if you want to import.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:16 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,912,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
That's exactly the problem. It detects OE and imports automatically from there (the storage) instead from the backup files on the desktop. That is probably the outlook default. However, it does not ask any questions...
So import your backed up message folders into OE, then let Outlook import them from OE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers