U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2009, 08:16 PM

147 posts, read 519,324 times

Advertisements

I have an Acer with Windows Vista. It's maybe 1 to 2 years old. It's one my kids mostly use, so who knows whats on it, but today son complained that it won't stay on. It boots up and shortly after, the screen goes blank and there is no response.
Also, the battery is not holding and my husband ordered a new one, but now if there's going to be problems, maybe it's not worth it. It's not an expensive computer and with $135 for the battery and then maybe more charges to fix, I may be halfway to a new one.
Before I take it in, is there anything I can do myself? I have a little comp. knowledge, but maybe not enough.
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 PM

84 posts, read 187,270 times
What model of Acer?

Do you have a normal monitor that you can plug in and see if it works on there?

Does it work again after restart?

Is the unit hot?

There are several things that could be causing this, shoot us some details of the laptop and maybe we can't help ya figured it out.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Hi, Thanks for your response. It an Acer Laptop, Extensa 5420. It will restart, but then shortly after will go blank. I did have it on for a time and tried to do some updates on windows and the webroot spyware, but, again, the screen went blank and wouldn't "wake up". I've taken out the battery and unplugged it and let it rest a few minutes. Still had the same problem.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:22 PM

563 posts, read 1,758,875 times
Something similar to this happened with my parent's flat panel lcd monitor on their desktop. It turned out after hooking up the computer to another monitor that it was not the computer but the lcd screen that went bad. Computer was under warranty with Dell and other than pulling my hair out dealing with them, the new monitor came. Problem solved. Follow the advice of a previous poster to rule out the monitor issue first.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:30 AM

3,060 posts, read 5,061,744 times
At what point during the boot up process does it go blank? After post, during windows splash, after getting to the win login or main windows desktop? Somewhere in all that?

Does it give any other indications - lights on, HDD access light on, beeps, etc? If the screen is blank, can you tell if the lamps are on?

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, have you tried Last Known Good to get back to where you were before the updates made changes to your system? I would definitely try this - you can also run some system tools while in Safe Mode, including AV scans.

If it's only 1-2 years old, I'd hate to see you buy a new comp! Batteries are terrible these days, I've gone through two in my 3 yr old laptop. But then, battery use and charging generates heat, and that heat can kill battery cells quickly. And bad chargers can also.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Thanks for your suggestions! I did take it over to Geek Squad and decided to get a hard drive kit to transfer data to another computer and then will do a system recovery with the intitial set up disks. If this doesnt't fix the problem, I've lost $60 instead of $135 for a new battery, $70 for diagnisis, and another $120 for fixing. A new Acer at Best Buy is $349. Fortunately this is not a computer that I use for major projects. Just need to try to rescue daughters itunes, pictures, etc. Thanks for your help! Wish me luck in the recovery process!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 PM

124 posts, read 344,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4me View Post
Just need to try to rescue daughters itunes, pictures, etc. Thanks for your help! Wish me luck in the recovery process!
Why don't just remove the HD, buy a $25 external USB enclosure and put the HD in that and copy the data?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers