U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 PM

821 posts, read 1,815,439 times

Advertisements

I have these old French lecture notes from Haiti Nazarene Bible College World Mission Caribbean - Haiti - Bible College
one of the professors (she has passed away and her family donated all the notes back to the school).
All the note books are pretty wore out and the Bible College wants to save them.(most 20 yrs old I would say)
I'm going to scan the documents
now, my question is best way to save, what type of file, what size
I have obtained a new laptop for this job and scanner/printer thing

I think the best thing so far is to make a folder on the desktop and have a folder for each book of notes (some 20 pages, some 100 pages) and name the folder the name on the outside of the notebook (all hand written notes)

I have done a few and saved as a "PDF" file, is this the best way to save?
and the size I'm saving is 150, is this too big or too little?
the ones I have saved so far look really good when I open them up to look at it.

any help or idea of how to do the job a better way would be very much help, thanks

I'm only here a week, to teach someone else to do this job (and I don't even know what I'm doing)
Rachel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,646,994 times
I would suggest 300 spi in TIF format just to be on the safe side. That will give you a resolution that will give you flawless reproduction both for standard sized print and screen viewing. Also it allows for blowups or detailed work if that is ever needed in the future. Each page will be around 3 megs. That is 100+ pages to a CD.

600 spi would be even better but the resulting file is annoyingly large if you are doing a lot of scans. That and unless you need to really enlarge them and do detail work it is really overkill.

If you have a need for space I still suggest scanning them using the above methods then store the original scans. Convert a set to JPG and/or to a smaller resolution so you can pack them all on a CD for distribution.

I guess it all depends on what you intend to do with them in the long run. However you do it I suggest using TIF as the format. It is a lossless format and is pretty standard. This means ten years from now if someone wants to use them the odds are much better they'll be able to open them.

EDIT: Oh and all of those are grayscale scans, if you need color the files will be much larger. If it is all handwritten text then grayscale should be fine. I wouldn't use black and white (sometimes called lineart). It will result in a smaller file but it will be noticably degraded in most cases.

Last edited by TomSD; 03-08-2009 at 11:01 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 PM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
There are multiple issues. Considering the advantages of format where multiple pages are virtually bound, PDF would be fine, I guess. That allows you to make virtual notebooks.

Like TomSD, I too scan to .TIF files for archival images. For plain text, even 100dpi is enough, but 300 is better, and 1200 is used for reproduction art. However... they take an ungodly amount of space and time uploading and downloading unless zipped, and if those files ever have to be printed, oi! I've had major printing outfits totally confused and freaked out when I presented tif files. Printers use Quark, so PDF files are much more reliable.

An equally important task is making multiple copies of the files, so that destruction of one set doesn't mean an entire loss. A backup to the net makes a lot of sense, along with two or three copies of each CD, with one copy off island in a safe place like a safety deposit box.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 AM

I have been given a laptop to save them on (that be staying here in Haiti) to finish up the work after I teach someone here to do this
and I have a new Maxtor 1000GB external hard drive to save all the documents scanned at the end of this week (which I will be taking the external HD back home with me at the end of the week and it will be coming back in a few weeks to save all the new scanned stuff)
there is 2 large boxes of notebooks and spiral bound note books with written lecture notes.
We are just hoping to preserve all this for future use, since she was a missionary here for many years
thanks, will change the new scanned files to .TIF (have scanned a few pages to PDF and will leave them that way for now)

I started scanning in 200dpi, but though the files were too big and moved it down to 150
but maybe when I change it to the .TIF file and back up to 200, it should not be such a large file

thanks for all the help, today is the day I start training someone to do this job

Rachel

Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
My recommendation is to store them as PDF files if your primary purpose is to save the INFORMATION, not the image of the notes. Low resolution is fine for this and makes the files small enough to be manageable. On the other hand, if the purpose is to preserve the image of the note pages, high resolution TIFF images are probably a good choice. If the image is the thing, you want to choose a format this is not compressed.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 PM

the documents are all hand written lecture notes
no acutal images (unless your calling the whole piece of paper an image)
most are in falling apart spiral bound note books that are from the 1970's and 1980's
we want them for the students here now, so they can be available in the library on the computer or DVD file
not the actual notebook's (since they are in bad shape)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers