U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,934 times

Advertisements

Something like a year ago I spilt a small amount of drink on my laptop. This effectivly messed my keyboard up and now the T and the Y and the tab key dont work so I have to use an external keyboard to type.

In the last week (i'm not sure if this is related or not) my cursor has been going off on one on its own. I looked around and the only instances of this i can find is people accidentily touching the keypad.

In my case this is not so, i dont have to be touching anything or i may even just be using the cursor and it goes nuts clicking everywhere for about 30 seconds and then it will go back to normal. Sometimes i have to get the task manager up before i can use anything as it wont let me click on anything.

Please help! Its driving me nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:52 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,690,476 times
I'm almost afraid to touch this issue because I don't have a laptop. Are you relying on the mouse touch-pad, or do you have an external mouse along with the external keyboard? Have you tried disabling the drivers for the main keyboard and touch-pad which are built into the laptop?

The clicking part kinda baffles me. Almost sounds like someone else is controlling your computer. Does it only happen when you're online?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 AM

No it happens when i'm offline too. I use the mousepad.

What would disabling the drivers do? Its nothing to do with me touching the touch pad when typing as i have to use an external keypad.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 AM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
I've seen the built-in touch pads go bad and move the cursor around without human assistance. By disabling the touch pad in the device manager, the cursor quits moving around by itself.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:13 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,079,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've seen the built-in touch pads go bad and move the cursor around without human assistance. By disabling the touch pad in the device manager, the cursor quits moving around by itself.
Hmm, so she'll probably have to get a new mouse, preferably a wireless. It would be a lot easier than a mousepad, anyway.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,497,278 times
Sounds like an interrupt (IRQ) sharing problem. They're less common since the PCI bus was developed, but not unheard of.

Do you have any unnecessary devices you can disable, or unplug if external? If you can, use an external pointing device and disable the internal touchpad in the BIOS, and see if that solves the problem.

You might want to consider replacing the whole thing, too... This laptop may be more trouble than it's worth at this point.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Did my spilling drink on it do it then? I cant afford another new laptop!!! Barely had this one for long i cant handle external everything the keyboard is bad enough

Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM

18,560 posts, read 55,493,012 times
<sigh> I can't even remember the number of people that I've cautioned about drinks near a computer. I've fired kids who couldn't resist having their cokes near work computers, despite those warnings.

The phrase is "logical consequences." Yeah, your spilled drink is likely mucking things up. You live with it, or pay someone to replace the keyboard and touchpad. It isn't mean, it isn't a personal attack, it is cause and effect. Those of us who are older learned it with hammers and thumbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers