Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM

267 posts, read 1,176,087 times

Advertisements

I use WMP to transfer music to my mp3 player. Not all the songs are at the same volume and this is especially frustrating when a very soft song is followed by a loud one and it blasts my eardrums. Is there some way I can normalize the volume with wmp10 before or as I tranfer my music? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
MP3Gain - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Thank you. But I still am unable to figure out how to use MP3Gain. After I download it, am I to use it before I tranfer files, or after, or both? I am still thumbing through that link, (and much of it is flying over my head), but thought you may have an answer.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 AM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times
I use dbPowerAmp for such things, although I don't bother with what you're trying to do. It's easier to just adjust the volume as needed than go through the hassle of transforming the music files...

Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I use dbPowerAmp for such things, although I don't bother with what you're trying to do. It's easier to just adjust the volume as needed than go through the hassle of transforming the music files...
Thanks. It's good to know that it is indeed a hassle! Just trying to figure out how to do it seemed like more effort than it was worth. What I gathered is that you need to do it for each song. Correct? That's too much, imo. I don't have that much time. Who does?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
You do them all in one batch, Use the "Add Folder" button, if all your music is stored in "My music" select that. It should scan it all subfolders for .mp3's. you then apply changes to every track at once.

What I would first do is make a copy of your collection to work on so if you screw things up you can just delete them. One thing to note is investigate the "album gain" feature. For example doing a quick scan of one live album I have from Pink Floyd here the tracks are all over the place. If I apply the gain to individual tracks it will ruin the continuity of the album. e.g the first track is very quiet introduction. If I boost that and not much is applied to the next track then when the tracks switch it will be very noticeable... You need to instead apply the gain to the album as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers