U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:25 PM

371 posts, read 1,637,836 times

Advertisements

Im looking at this one,

Amazon.com: Sony VAIO VGN-AW125J/H 18.4-Inch Laptop (2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Blu-ray Drive. Vista Premium) Grey: Electronics

But my cousin tells me to run away from Vaios.
Almost none of the reviews mention any serious problems, and the CNET review of this laptop is very favorable. However, I looked at another Vaio line, and most reviews say that it comes full of unnecessary bloatware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Yes, they do come with tons of bloatware but I understand if you buy it direct, they'll take it off for a fee. I have a Sony only because I needed a superlight machine, basically the size of a netbook, but with an optical drive built, and there's not many choices in that category so I got a Sony. Its been a good machine but the first thing I did was wipe out the hard drive, delete their recovery partition to get 5GB of space back, and load my own copy of XP Pro using the license key from Sony. It runs fine but had I been unable or unwilling to do that, I would not have gotten a Sony. Their pre-loaded garbage is that bad.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,771,777 times
I'm sitting at a kitchen table right now with two Vaios sitting on it: mine (a dinosaur from 2005 with XP) and my aunt's (new last year with Vista). Both of us really like them, and yes there's bloatware, but in our cases it doesn't interfere with our day-to-day use. Otherwise there's nothing major about which we can complain except that the batteries only last about 30 minutes. This could be a big deal for some people. These batteries are the originals that came with the laptops and we could purchase more long-lasting ones, but we're both too cheap to do so since neither of us rarely have need to be untethered from an outlet anyway.

One minor issue with mine is that over the past four years some of the letters on the keys have partially "wiped off". A little bit of paint fixed that.

Also, when I got a nasty bug last year, I didn't have a recovery disk - whether I never had one or I misplaced it I don't know - but it was easy enough to order one from Sony (at a cost of $39.)

Old 03-13-2009, 08:51 AM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
I just uninstall the bloatware. 99% of it is pretty obvious. The rest you can ask about here and someone will let you know which is and isn't.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Hardware wise that's a decent laptop, Sony quality isn't bad, as others have mentioned they are #1 in bloatware, they did try to charge $50 to remove the boat, but public outcry put a quick stop to that. Truth be known if I bought a Sony it'd get a format and fresh install from an OEM disk, not the Sony recovery media.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:07 AM

28,645 posts, read 40,622,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
Im looking at this one,

Amazon.com: Sony VAIO VGN-AW125J/H 18.4-Inch Laptop (2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, Blu-ray Drive. Vista Premium) Grey: Electronics

But my cousin tells me to run away from Vaios.
Almost none of the reviews mention any serious problems, and the CNET review of this laptop is very favorable. However, I looked at another Vaio line, and most reviews say that it comes full of unnecessary bloatware.

You might consider one of these. The first one has a faster processor and costs less than the one at Amazon. Smaller hard drive. Second one does not have Blu-Ray.

Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops,Laptops, Notebooks & Netbooks,Laptops / Notebooks,Sony VAIO,18.4",

Old 03-14-2009, 04:37 PM

371 posts, read 1,637,836 times
If I just format the HDD, will that erase most if not all of the bloatware? Will it also erase some of the pre-installed stuff like Office?

Im sorry, and I dont speak computer.

How can I easily recognize what is bloatware and what isnt?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
If I just format the HDD, will that erase most if not all of the bloatware? Will it also erase some of the pre-installed stuff like Office?

Im sorry, and I dont speak computer.

How can I easily recognize what is bloatware and what isnt?
Reformatting will wipe out everything, including the operating system. You'll have a doorstop until your reload the operating system, drivers, and applications you want. If you bought your computer with Microsoft Office, you should have been given a CD and installation code.

Bloatware is a bit hard to define but I'd say its anything that's not the operating system or device driver and not useful to the user. A freshly installed Windows should have very few items listed in the add/remove programs list and very little on the start menu. Go look at a PC's add/remove program list (now called programs and features in Vista) in a store and you'll be amazed at how long the list is. Typical bloatware includes:

Trial versions of programs like Quicken, Quickbooks, or photo editors/photo albums
Crappy 60 day trial security software from Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, or Computer Associates
Browser toolbars from Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, AOL, etc
Desktop shortcuts to sites like eBay or anyone else that paid your OEM for advertising space
Assorted games and other crap that has nothing to do with running your computer

Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,771,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Hardware wise that's a decent laptop, Sony quality isn't bad, as others have mentioned they are #1 in bloatware, they did try to charge $50 to remove the boat, but public outcry put a quick stop to that. Truth be known if I bought a Sony it'd get a format and fresh install from an OEM disk, not the Sony recovery media.
I should have clarified that for my $39 that's what I got - a full let's-start-all-over disk and not just a recovery disk. And let's-start-all-over did sadly mean all the bloatware was included (sigh).

Quote:
EscapeCalifornia wrote: Typical bloatware includes:

Trial versions of programs like Quicken, Quickbooks, or photo editors/photo albums
Crappy 60 day trial security software from Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, or Computer Associates
Browser toolbars from Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, AOL, etc
Desktop shortcuts to sites like eBay or anyone else that paid your OEM for advertising space
Assorted games and other crap that has nothing to do with running your computer
My Vaio had just about all of the above plus Vaio World or Vaio Central or something like that, a bunch of programs for listening to music and watching videos and a host of other such drivel.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:35 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
I would probably start with PC Decrapifier Welcome | The PC Decrapifier then just go through whats left and remove what you don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers