U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 18,208 times

Advertisements

I was helping a friend transfer data from her old computer to her new one by putting it on my external hard drive. While the data was transfering I got a write error and removed the hard drive safely from the computer and turned it off then turned it back on like I had done on a couple of other occasions and it would no longer show up on any computer. I have tried all the typical advice and was hoping someone could help me fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:32 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,989 times
Typical advice?? if your following the old thread that recently resurfaced I still consider my advice valid..

The normal thing to do is when the drive is on/plugged in.. put you ear to the drive see if you can here abnormal sounds.. like a constant clicking.. or a whirring and then maybe a click.. and then it repeats.. (bad sign)

But the real thing to do..
- RIP the drive out of the shell it's in..
- Hook it up to real computer via it's interface be it IDE/SATA (most drives no older 2-3 years or so are SATA)
- If all else fails a geek trick for recovering some drives (it works.. kinda) is 1 hour in the freezer..

Understand that if you hear nothing on the ear test.. your drive = dead need data recovery services.. understand that in my experience as previously described a simple chkdsk.. repaired a USB drive not working once for me.. Understand if you feel these steps are too complicated hire yourself a geek.. (not at geeksquad)

Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 AM

188,797 posts, read 77,815,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWDrow View Post
I was helping a friend transfer data from her old computer to her new one by putting it on my external hard drive. While the data was transfering I got a write error and removed the hard drive safely from the computer and turned it off then turned it back on like I had done on a couple of other occasions and it would no longer show up on any computer. I have tried all the typical advice and was hoping someone could help me fix it.
Shut down the computer. Unplug the drive from the computer and power...Turn on computer. Power the drive and listen as suggested. If it is turning the plug in the data cable. Once upon a time we found this to work. Both cables had to be unplugged at the same time...Then we got it back up and it still works normal.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Step one is to determine which 'box' the problem is in.

Is the drive recognized when connected to another computer? This will tell you which box the problem is in.

If the drive, then next step, back to basics, is the power pack working, i.e. lights on the drive, hear the drive spin up?

If the PC, resolve the issue with the USB port, look in device manager for problems, delete the USB ports in device manager, reboot and windows will discover and reinstall them.

Trouble shooting is a process, divide and conquer (which box), then start simple (power, cable actually connected), then more complicated, (drivers, etc.)

Old 03-13-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Step one is to determine which 'box' the problem is in.

Is the drive recognized when connected to another computer? This will tell you which box the problem is in.

If the drive, then next step, back to basics, is the power pack working, i.e. lights on the drive, hear the drive spin up?

If the PC, resolve the issue with the USB port, look in device manager for problems, delete the USB ports in device manager, reboot and windows will discover and reinstall them.

Trouble shooting is a process, divide and conquer (which box), then start simple (power, cable actually connected), then more complicated, (drivers, etc.)
The drive is not recognized on another computer we tired it on 4 different ones. The drive is lighting up and you can hear the drive running when you listen to it.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
The drive is not recognized on another computer we tired it on 4 different ones. The drive is lighting up and you can hear the drive running when you listen to it.
In the absence of any nasty clicking from the drive mechanism, its probably a bad interface board. I've seen it happen.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
In the absence of any nasty clicking from the drive mechanism, its probably a bad interface board. I've seen it happen.
I just got it for Christmas as a present brand new

Old 03-14-2009, 01:54 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,348,910 times
Quote:
Age really has little to do with it. I've seen drives and boards die within minutes of opening the box and I've seen them last years. If there's no data on there you have to get back, RMA it with the manufacturer. If you have data on the drive you really need, then you'll need to open the case and separate the drive itself from the IDE/SATA to USB interface to narrow the problem down. If it turns out its just the interface board, you can easily get your data back. If it turns out to be the drive mechanism or its own controller board, well that's a problem.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:55 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
Quote:
If a solid state electronic component is going to fail (chips, transistors, etc.) they will most likely fail early in life. The longer solid state electronics run, the longer they are likely to run, outside of an external event such as electrical spikes, power surges, overheating.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:14 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,015,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If a solid state electronic component is going to fail (chips, transistors, etc.) they will most likely fail early in life. The longer solid state electronics run, the longer they are likely to run, outside of an external event such as electrical spikes, power surges, overheating.
Thats pretty much is what I tell my customers, the newer it is, the more likely it is to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or